Steve G.
Steve G., Engineer
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company.
329447

Hi there. My Kindle screen appears cracked from the inside.

Customer Question

Hi there.
My Kindle screen appears cracked from the inside. There is no visible damage, and I can charge it and turn it on. The top right diagonal of the screen looks like a combination of background fields, and my book list appears in the bottom left diagonal of the screen. If I try to read, only half the screen appears, slashed diagonally from left top to bottom right.
I have tried to reboot, but the screen reappears in this way. How can you help?
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Steve G. :

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Steve G. :

Now..

Steve G. :

Is this a black and white 'E-Ink' screen? Or a color screen Kindle?

Customer:

black and white

Steve G. :

Ok, was the Kindle dropped?

Customer:

black and white E-ink

Steve G. :

Right, do you know how it was damaged?

Customer:

Yes.

Steve G. :

Also, about how old is the Kindle?

Customer:

Maybe three years.

Steve G. :

Ok, so it is unlikely that Amazon will replace it free of charge.

Customer:

What is the outside limit for replacement?

Steve G. :

You stated that you had rebooted it. Was this by holding the power button ON for 35-40 seconds?

Customer:

Are there repair facilities in Gauteng, South Africa? Yes I followed the correct procedure for rebooting.

Steve G. :

In all honesty, nobody repairs Kindles except maybe changing out the battery. They are sold at a loss in the first place with the hope of making it back from book and app sales.

Steve G. :

Especially a damaged screen - the screen is the most expensive component of the Kindle.

Steve G. :

Unfortunately

Steve G. :

It sounds like you are going to have to replace it - I know that is not what you wanted to hear but if you COULD find a repair station, I'm sure the cost would exceed that of a new one.

Steve G. :

Here in the US, the basic Kindle is $69 which is about the cost of a meal and drinks for two at a pub.

Steve G. :

Nobody can repair one and be competetive. My company charges $100 per hour for labor.

Customer:

OK, Steve. Thanks for the info. Nicola will be in the US at the end of the month. She can take it from there. (This is her mom).