Viet - E-Reader Tech
Viet - E-Reader Tech, Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot issues with E-Readers.
30037186

I have one of the original Kindles which has accidently gone

I have one of the original Kindles which has accidently gone thru a wash in the washing machine. It won't start up, unsurprisingly, at the moment. Is there any hope for it ? Is there any way I can save the many books which were on it? Thanks.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Viet - E-Reader Tech replied 3 years ago.

Hello Duncan! Thank you for your question. I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Please try this: If you have any cover on the kindle, please remove it for now. Then please press & hold (or slide & hold) the power on/off button/switch on the kindle for about 45 seconds, then turn it back on and check?

Is there any power / light at all? Don't worry about your books; even with the kindle being damaged, you won't lose your books. Please let me know; I'll let you how to get all your books.

Please click on the Reply to Expert tab below, and reply back to me, so I can help further if there is still any issue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there not sure if you rec'd my latest enquiry? Please confirm. Thanks

I'm sorry, I did not receive your reply. Please reply back at the box below on this web page only. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

After following your advice, I now have the lower screen displaying a screensaver , while the upper part is showing text from a book. Thanks

You're welcome. Please charge the kindle for a few minutes and while charging, do this again: press & hold (or slide & hold) the power on/off button/switch on the kindle for about 45 seconds, then turn it back on and check.

If the kindle still does not work, the water has damaged the kindle, but you can get all your books back, so don't worry. Do you also have a windows or mac computer, or a tablet or smartphone, etc.?

Please let me know. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Still same symptoms. Should I take the back off and try to dry it out ? Windows comp. Thanks

Sorry. Yes, you can try that. And/or put the kindle in a bag of rice for about 24 hours, then check.

If needed, if you decide to get a new kindle, then after setting up the new kindle, then all your books will automatically be downloaded to the new kindle.

In the mean time, you can download and install the Kindle app / program on your computer/PC, so you can read your books on the computer:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200783640

You can get back to me any time if you have any further question. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

does the back come off easy? Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

model no: D01100 IC 9599A-0725

Thank you. Please see the instruction video at the website below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVKiRfTMUWk