Kriptokrit
Kriptokrit, E-Readers Technician
Experience:  Over 6 years of experience in Electronics support service.
63849745

My kindle screen is now full of lines both horizontal and vertical

My kindle screen is now full of lines both horizontal and vertical and does not display text in the bottom right corner.
How can this be cured?
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Kriptokrit replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for your question.
I'm Todd and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

When did you purchase your Kindle?
Can you confirm that your Kindle did not get wet or physically damaged?
Regards,
Todd
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

About two years ago

I can confirm that the Kindle did not get wet nor was it physically damaged.

Hi David,
Thank you for your reply.
Please note that electronics troubleshooting is not always easy and sometimes I will not be able to find solution for your problem immediately, so if my first answer does not resolve your problem or you need more information please do not rate my answer negative BAD SERVICE or POOR SERVICE (that will result in a permanent negative feedback on my record - very damaging for me). Please use "Reply to Expert" button instead.
•ANSWER•
This problem sounds like a hardware issue (defective screen on your Kindle), but sometimes the same issue can be caused by glitch in the software. If there is no hardware issue on the device, some of the solutions below should resolve this issue.
Please follow the steps below to reset your device:
1. Press and hold (or slide and hold) the power button for exactly 45 seconds.
2. After 45 seconds, release the power button.
3. Wait 2 minute, then turn on your Kindle.
4. Test your Kindle.
Please try this procedure at least 3 times (if you have leather cover or any other cover remove it).
If the previous procedure doesn't work, perform the procedure below:
1. Plug the Kindle into the charger for 5 minutes.
2. After 5 minutes (while still plugged in) press and hold power (slide and hold) button for 45 seconds.
3. Allow up to 3 minutes for the Kindle to reboot.
4. Test your Kindle.
Another solution for this kind of issue:
1. Connect the USB cable to computer (do not connect Kindle).
2. Hold the Power button for 20 seconds.
3. After 20 seconds while still holding Power button, plug the other part of the USB cable in the Kindle.
4. Leave the Kindle for 2 minutes and try to turn it on (hold the Power button for exactly 45 seconds).
4. Test your Kindle.
Please try all solutions (step by step) and let me know if that works. I'll be waiting for your reply.
If none of those solutions works or you need more information please do not rate my answer negative BAD service or POOR service. Reply to me using "Reply to Expert" button and I'll provide you with more help.
Kind Regards,
Todd
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

These steps have not helped at all in fact the screen is now worse than when I started.

Thank you for your reply David and for additional information.
Because none of the previous solutions works (the most important troubleshooting steps), I have good and bad news for you (please don't shoot the messenger).
Bad news is that your Kindle is defective (screen on your Kindle is defective). I have provided you with the all troubleshooting steps for resolving this kind of issue (resetting the software, force reset, USB charging). Unfortunately there is an hardware issue on the device that software troubleshooting can't resolve.
Your Kindle is out of warranty, so the good news is that Amazon does often replace Kindles out of warranty. At least they would replace it for less than the cost of repairing. Replacing the screen on the Kindle would be very expensive since the screen is a majority of the cost of the Kindle.
You will have to contact Amazon warranty support service to arrange replacemen
Use procedure below to contact Amazon warranty service. There is an option that Amazon calls you. Please follow the steps below:
1. Go to the page below - click here.
Log in using your Amazon account information.
2. Select Kindle > Kindle Device (or Troubleshooting my Kindle) > Problem with my Kindle > My Kindle is damaged or Kindle is frozen/unresponsive
3. Click Phone - Call us
4. Enter your number and choice "Call me now" or "Call me for 5 minutes".
Sorry I could not be of any more assistance, but there is a hardware issue that can't be resolved online.
Please let me know if you are not satisfied with my help or if you need more information. I'll be happy to help with any follow up questions.
Kind Regards,
Todd
Kriptokrit, E-Readers Technician
Experience: Over 6 years of experience in Electronics support service.