Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My kindle 111 freezes about eighth of the way through reboot.

My kindle 111 freezes about eighth of the way through reboot. The dark area that crosses the screen left to right gets about a half inch in then freezes. Can you help?
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your Kindle.
The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 25 seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot. If this does not cure the issue, oftentimes the reset procedure needs to be repeated several times for it to force a reboot.
If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.
This clears up the issues you're having 90% of the times, but in the rare case that it does not, the problem may go deeper than a software issue. If this is the case, please reply back with the specific model number off of the back of the Kindle, and also how long you've had the Kindle for, and I will continue to assist you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. I have tried all of these so far. Have tried reboot 7 or 8 times in the last 3 hours. Have tried charging. It is easy to get into reboot mode, just continuously freezes part way through. Any other ideas?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. Then problem may go deeper than a software issue. If this is the case, please reply back with the specific model number off of the back of the Kindle, and also how long you've had the Kindle for, and I will continue to assist you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Model number listed id D00901, and I bought it early Jan n2011, so outside warranty.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately there's no way to force the D00901 to reboot (earlier models had a pushbutton reset underneath a removable battery cover).
Now I understand you said you've charged it, but what my answer had suggested was trying the reboot WHILE it's charging, and has already been on the charger for 15 minutes- have you tried that?
If not, then please try it now.
If you have, and there's still no luck, then the reboots above are the only thing you can try on a user level, and aside from that the device would have a faulty processor and be in need of service or replacement.
Unfortunately there is not a fix for this problem on a user level and the device will need service. Amazon does not repair these devices directly, and there are 3rd party servicers that take care of out of warranty repairs. The link below is to a site that fixes these issues with the Kindle:
http://www.missionrepair.com/Kindle_Repair_Amazon_Kindle_Repair_s/476.htm
Another alternative is to purchase a refurbished Kindle from Amazon- which will be less expensive that repairing this unit. You can still download all of your saved books for free on the new device:
http://www.amazon.com/sale-deals-Kindle-refurbished/dp/B007TKK5SG
If you need further assistance let me know, and once satisfied please -do not forget to click a "POSITIVE RATING" so that I am credited. If you don't see a place to rate- reply back to me and let me know.
You can follow up to the question at no additional charge even once you've rated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Aric. That did not do it either, so looks like I will have to blow the dust from my wallet and spend some money!

But as I say, thanks for you efforts. Will do the rating in a moment.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome, and sorry for the bad news on that one. It's simply beyond our control at this stage. If you need further assistance let me know. Please keep in mind that we are all independent Techs on here, working on our own time, and are only credited a portion of the deposit one we are rated POSITIVELY.