Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

kindle won't take a charge

kindle won't take a charge
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.

Even if it does not look like it is charging and even though it may be fully charged charge it using a different wall outlet than you normally do (a different room is best) for at least 10 minutes.

Do not skip that even if it is fully charged from you already plugging it in, it is important to do it.

It sounds like the firmware may be frozen try this and let me know the results hold the power switch for at least 60 seconds.

Try this at least 6 times.

The firmware can sometimes get frozen the same way that a computer will occasionally.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tried your solution. Still having problems. Charging light comes on but then goes off again, even after re-booting. tried plugging into a different socket and different room. Have re-booted well over 6 times. Any other suggestions?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
How old is it? Does the port feel loose? Have you tried a different cable?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the kindle is about 1 year old. Yes the port does feel slightly loose. I /9bought a new cable just in case that was the problem.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
The port being loose is not a good sign, do you know if it is over or under a year?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not sure. Also. I am a heavy user, I use it for several hours each day.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
What you are describing sounds like the charging port coming loose from the board. To fix it a new one needs to be soldered onto the board. If it is under a year old it will normally be covered by warranty. Otherwise here is a video on what needs to be done: Click Here The video is for a Fire but the steps should be pretty much the same on all Kindles. You can use it the way it is now but to get it to keep charging the cable needs to be put in at an angle and propped that way. All computer/electronics technicians should be able to do this but not all will. The price is normally an hours labour at the shop rate but you may need to call around to find one that does this if you do not do it yourself. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Kindle.
.