Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

My kindle screen has blank patches. Am I able to restore i

My kindle screen has blank patches. Am I able to restore it?
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.

Even if it does not look like it is charging and even though it may be fully charged charge it using a different wall outlet than you normally do (a different room is best) for at least 10 minutes.

Do not skip that even if it is fully charged from you already plugging it in, it is important to do it, it is more for a reset than a charge.

It sounds like the firmware may be frozen try this and let me know the results hold the power switch for at least 60 seconds.

Try this at least 6 times.

The firmware can sometimes get frozen the same way that a computer will occasionally.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The kindle is now fully charged. I have held the off switch for over a minute for at least 6 times but this has not resolved the issue. When I hold the off switch the screen does not clear completely. The screen remains patchy when in the on position.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Did you switch outlets like I mentioned? Are the patches in the same spot every time you turn it on?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I changed room and outlet as requested. The patches are the same.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Look at the back there is a tiny model number that is hard to see, what model number is ***** it? How old is it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Model no. D00901 FCC ID X7N-0610 IC: 8959A-0610
It is about 3 years old
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
From what you are describing the screen itself is failing and needs to be replaced.
Sometimes it is just frozen in which case that reset would have worked.

You can get a screen from here: Click Here
You can sometimes find the part cheaper on eBay.
Here is a video showing how to replace it: Click Here\

If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know.
If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Kindle.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your time. If the screen is failing I will probably just buy a new up to date Kindle reader rather than going to the bother of trying to change the screen
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
If you do that call Amazon first they will sometimes give a discount if you send them the old one. They then refurbish it by replacing the screen and resell it. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Kindle.
.