Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Nook, kindle, kobo, & ipad expert
59725966

I have two kindles and recently have tried to download several

I have two kindles and recently have tried to download several free books but find I have been charged for them and they have not appeared on either of the kindles I have.
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. Give the kindle about a minute to start back up, and let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps. Thanks,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have tried that with both Kindles. No result. Both Kindles start up and I can access the contents pages and read what has been previously stored there but not recent books which I have ordered.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for confirming,can you please turn on the kindle(s), go to the home page, then to the category type (book, newsstand, etc) for what you've purchased.Then look for the CLOUD button at the top of the page and pick that, instead of Device, and the items should be there. Select each from the cloud library and that will prompt it to download to the kindls local storage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The home pages do not offer a category type. It allows me to shop in Kindle store, view archived items, search, create new collection, sync and check for items, settings, experimental and screen rotation. I can see no CLOUD button.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
That won't apply if you have a regular kindle (touch, paperwhite, etc). Only for the kindle fire. You should still see a Library function though, and from there have the ability to choose cloud library. Please run the sync/check function again also
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have two basic kindles and cannot find a library function. When I go to Sync & check for items I am offered wi-fi networks which fail when I try to connect.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
That is part of the problem then.The kindles cannot download/update any content if you don't have them properly linked to a working wifi connection. Did you not have it connected to your home wifi network previously?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Until this week there has not been a problem. I have been able to download lots of books (still have space for more) but suddenly they are not downloading. In order to try to connect to one of the wi fi's offered I am asked for a password ***** I haven't got a clue about.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
To be able to connect, you have to know your home wifi network name and password.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
This is really above and beyond the initial scope of your original question, as it's a separate network issue. But, there are a few possible ways to get (or change) your password:1) You can look for a sticker on the back/side of the router, which indicates the factory default (key/passphrase). Note this only works if the password ***** never changed/customized when the router was initially configured2) You can access the router configuration menu via a computer that is already connected to the router, either via wifi or wired ethernet. This lets you view/change the password.3) you can do a factory reset of the router, clearing all settings, and allowing that default password ***** function again. Doing this results in having to update the password ***** all devices.Of these options, I'd suggest #2, but I'll be happy to give more info on any of them. If you can let me know the make/model of the router, I'll give you the basic steps to access the router setup. Or, if you aren't comfortable doing so yourself, I can do it for you remotely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is a Virgin media router. (SSID)

Netgear.

Info on it is:

VM 509107-2G

VM 509107-5G

MAC COFFD441B8E8

Super Hub 2ac (VMDG490

Not sure what any of this is but it also gives me a password ***** use.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You can certainly try connecting to those networks along with the password ***** there, but it may or may not work.If you prefer I can do this for you remotely, if the default password ***** isn't working for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are brilliant!!!! I have used the password ***** and it is now downloading all the books I ordered. (Not sure why I was charged for the last three as they were supposed to be free books but hey!)

I realised when I went to check the router that the problem may have been caused because we recently had an upgraded wi fi system by Virgin but no one told us that we needed to change anything. I just assumed it would be the same as the original but better!

I am a computer novice hence the lack of skill sorting this.

Thank you so much for your perseverance.

F.P.Kibblewhite.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Great, glad that did the trick for you!If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1gHgwli Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan