Richard, Engineer
Experience:  E-Reader Engineer
32989067

Kindle Fire HD dropped in water 4 days ago; was under water

Kindle Fire HD dropped in water 4 days ago; was under water about 5 seconds. Full emersion. Any hope?
Regards. C. McEvoy
Category: E-Readers
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcomeYour only chance is to put it in a bag of rice and let it sit for 48 hours.The rice will suck out all moisture from the Kindle, to stop any further corrosion or shorting out.Never apply heat as this results in condensation, further spreading out the water internally.Leave it in the rice and after 48 hours, take it out, try to turn it on and if nothing has shorted out when it fell in the water, it will work again.I am concerned its now 4 days before doing this... as its always best to do this straight after the incident else calcium build up can cause the components to short out, but you should still do this as this is your best chance. If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit.Thank you