Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

Hi Chaps and chapetts I have up graded to a Tascam DM3200

Customer Question

Hi Chaps and chapetts

I have up graded to a Tascam DM3200 consol. I have fitted Firewire to a Mac with an up-to-date 10.6.8 platform. I am using cubase 6.5. I have managed to get a record signal to the program and i can record (say Guitar) on a track. I have set the sound to return back to the consol but it doesn't come back.. I have exuasted all the manual suggestions..

What next ??

Loxley
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hello Loxley, my name is Rusty. I can help you.

It's great that you can record tracks, that means that all of your system is communicating. There are tricks to the output.

The first thing I want you to try is the headphone out of your Tascam. That will tell you if you are indeed receiving signal from the computer.

Once you have confirmed that signal is coming from the computer, I'm willing to bet money that your output signal is routed through your assignable aux outputs, rather than the main. This happens because the tracks in Cubase are assigned to a bus. Busses are virtual aux channels in Cubase, so they tend to go to the aux outputs on the interface.

If you find that the signal is coming from the aux outputs, and you need to reconfigure, check both in your I/O setup menu and on the track, to make sure they are both set to output main L/R, not output 1-2.

Let me know what progress you make, and we'll fine tune if we need to.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Rusty

Apologies for taking so long to come back to you, I lost your original email reply but fortunately saved it in Word. I have a busy schedule here with the current studio (PC based). So I am running the Mac in parallel via the onboard sound card to the slot on the Tascam, and the soundcard form the PC sent via the bus faders using the additional slot with analog sends, with returns coming back to two channels on the desk as I did before with the previous consol.

I have indeed tried the Headphones – but no banana. I have set the output to stereo on the channel as I have been doing all along, but again no luck. All of these things i have tried before in sequence checking the outputs along the way

When the Mac fires up, the internal sound card plays the start up tune. Then once the Desk is turned on then all sound is automatically muted form the Mac and sent to the firewire I guess.

As i said, i can clearly see the signal on the software but I cannot hear it on the desk via the phones. So i am sure you’re right – they have to be communicating with each other, or i would not be able to record..

So it’s close but still not fully active

Loxley

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
How about when playing a song in iTunes, can you hear the song through the headphones? This will tell me exactly where the problem is.

If you hear the song from iTunes, it means that your OS is communicating with your interface. It also means that there is an output setting in Cubase that needs to be set. If you cannot find the output setting in cubase, please tell me how the output is set now.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I have tried the Headphones in both the Mac and the Consol Rusty

What's next then

Loxley

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
The big question isn't the headphones, it's iTunes. Can you hear a song through the headphones when you play a song in iTunes? iTunes is different than Cubase, that's the reason I'm checking. Thanks for your patience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I understand Rusty - Sorry my answer was a bit vague there. The reference I was iTunes that i was using to listen not cubase.. I understand.

There was nothing coming back, either form the mac or the desk

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Ok, that's definitely a problem between Tascam and 10.6.8. The system requirements call for 10.3.5 or higher, but the problem there is that 10.3 may be too old for Tascam. I know they say 10.x.x "or higher", but I see interfaces with this problem all the time.

I want you to check your default output device on your Mac before we switch out your interface. Make sure that it is showing up as an output device, and that it is selected for use. Let me know if you find something in those settings.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay Rusty - Well i'm guessing this is not good then.

The output device is most deff the firewire IF/FW /DM Tascam on the menu - so what do we do now then

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
This is odd, because Tascam is your output device, but you can't hear any sound from Cubase or iTunes. Let's update your firmware. Sometimes it will add support for newer operating systems.

http://tascam.com/product/dm-3200/downloads/

Follow the instructions carefully, and step by step, and let me know if you see any improvement.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rusty

Sorry for taking so long in replying to you - I had to go away for a few days and i have not had the time to sit down and update the firmware. However i have tried to do this today and i have had no luck as yet. I have managed to get on the site and download the firmware but it still has not cured the problem - Beginning to get a bit fazed by this.

I will continue today to try and work through it..

Regards Loxley

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
I find it strange that it's allowing input, but not output. Let's look at one more avenue.

The routing in the DM-3200 could be crossed on the output. Double check that the signal coming from the computer is routed to go out the main L/R. Here are the things I want you to check:

You have signal directly from channel 1 to the main outs (speak into a microphone).
You have signal from the computer.
The signal from the computer is routed to the main outs.