Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

Tascam DP-32 file error

Customer Question

I have a Tascam DP-32. I've been using a SanDisk 16 gig STD card. On the third song recorded it started popping (a bit like static), then after switching off/on I get the "file error" message and can't get into the song at all. This is affecting only this one song (all others on the card are accessible). When I took it to the computer, all the individual files of this song were there and accessible, but of course they're not synched on the computer. .

This is a recorded song with 1.2 gigs of acoustic instruments - hours of work!  Help! What can I do?

Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. It sounds like there was a file error, and you may be stuck re-recording some of the tracks.

First, backup the contents of the card to your computer. Format the card to remove any errors in the file system. Copy the contents back to the card.

You may need to import the audio tracks on the third song to get the files to work again. The good thing is you won't have to re-record most of the tracks, but you will have to add effects, and possibly sync some of the tracks where they need to go.

There is never an easy way out when it comes to an SD card error. I'm sorry to be the one to have to tell you, but this is going to require some patience, and remixing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Rusty,

I don't understand why you say the error is in the SD card. I have already copied the entire song on to the computer, then on another SD card. It still won't open on the Tascam machine. Which suggests that the fault is in the particular song folder rather than the card itself?

If I take everything off the SD card, then re-format it, then re-import all songs back on to the card, we'll see if that works, as you suggest. I hope, however, this does upset anything else already recorded?

Best regards.

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
The reason it's not opening on Tascam is because there was a file error. It stores the audio files, then it also stores a data file that tells Tascam where to put them in the song, what effects to add, etc...

Your songs that were already recorded have the correct data file for the song. These will not be upset. The trick is to remove the bad sector with formatting, then you'll need to remix the song. Since you have intact music files, you don't have to re-record, but you will need to tell Tascam what to do with them so it can recreate the data file.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Rusty,

This is what I've done:

1. Re-formatted the disk

2. Created a "new song" and re-entered wav file data for my song, minus the original data file (editable.sys)

It still comes up "file error", so I can't get into it.

So I tried:

1. Pasting in the original song (including the original editable.sys data file) to the reformatted disk.

Still "file error".

All of this suggest that the fault is not the disk itself, but something on one of the hundreds of wav files that contain the recorded sounds. But which one? No idea!

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
I believe the error is in the .sys file. That is what the machine uses for time stamps, and other .wav data. It contains no audio. If there was a problem with an audio file, it would play just fine, but it would have a blank audio file playing. That's how the file system works.

Since the problem is in the .sys file, this is why you will have to import the tracks, and start the mixing process over. If this will be easier on the computer for you, there are free multitrack programs called Wavepad and Audacity that you can use for mixing this song. I think that would be the easiest way to save your song.

I'm sorry that there isn't an easy answer for you. The fact that the .sys file is corrupt makes things difficult. You're going to have to make a decision on how you would like to start the mixing process over. I'm here to help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Rusty,

I appreciate that you are trying to help, but with hundreds of .wav files to wade through - and nothing to glue them together in the right sequence or order - it would be quicker to re-record the whole song. It's not just a matter of re-mixing - if it were, that would be very easy. The problem is that without the .sys file there are hundreds of totally random and unordered sound files that mean nothing unless placed in the right order.

This was a fault on the Tascam machine itself, which is brand new.

Ahhh!

Sorry, we might as well stop this correspondence since (not your fault) you've not been able to help much!

Best wishes.

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
All of the punch in/out files are stored on their own .wav file, I can see how much of a pain that is. Man, I feel for you, I'd be inclined to start over too. 1.2 gigs is nothing to shake a stick at. I can only imagine how long that took to record.

I'm sorry there isn't an easy answer. I will say that 9 times out of 10, it's the card's fault, and not the machine. Since your machine made noise, it is possible that it shocked the card slightly, and caused the error on the file.

To reduce this risk in the future, before you start a new project, format the card. This will eliminate the card errors and will provide a safe file system to work with.

Another preventative measure that you can take, is update your firmware if you haven't already. This will fix any known issues in the machine, and gives you the latest features. Click here for the firmware page.

These will help in the future, but there's nothing that you can do to repair the corrupt file...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A last and pretty stupid question. Having downloaded a firmware update on to my PC (in the form of a file), how do I get this on to the Tascam machine? There's nothing in the manual that tells me how to do this!

Thanks,

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
No problem, and sorry for the delay. I was on a lengthy project.

1. Use the USB cable to connect to your computer with the computer and unit on.
2. Press Menu, then use the Jog/Data dial or cursor buttons to select the USB menu. Press F4 to select.
3. Press F2 to connect to your computer.
4. Click start, computer, and open up your device as a mass storage device.
5. Copy the downloaded firmware to the UTILITY folder on the device.
6. When it's finished, press F2 to terminate the USB connection.
7. Turn the unit's power off.
8. While pressing and holding both Mute and Undo/Redo, turn the power on.
Use the JOG dial to select the firmware file, and press F4.
9. Press F2 (yes)

When it's finished, it will say COMPLETE. It will power down, then back on.

Follow steps 1-4.
Delete the firmware from the utility folder.
Press F2, then power off then on. Your recorder is updated.