Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

I have been using a Technics SX-PR600 digital piano, mainly

Customer Question

I have been using a Technics SX-PR600 digital piano, mainly for recording my accompaniments onto midi so that I can then edit mistakes etc before transferring to CDs for my pupils. I now have an error message appearing whenever I try to open one of the midi files recorded from the piano. "Bad track error 903" or similar words! Please advise asap since Christmas is looming...!
Thanks XXXXX
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. I'm sorry, but it sounds like you'll have to start the song over. Here's what happens to bring up those errors:

Storage on the keyboard, whether it be internal or external media, uses sectors to store the files on the FAT system. Those sectors get errors from time to time, and that song seems to be stuck on that sector. It can't be recalled, because that sector is bad. It's like blowing out a tire; You can't have the flat fixed, you need to replace the tire.

There is a chance that we can run a disk utility on the media to see if it can be repaired. Although it's doubtful, it's worth a shot. In order to do this, it must be on storage that can be opened by your computer. Do you have the file on USB by chance?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rusty,

it's on floppy disc at mo, but can save it to computer/USB if that's going to help. I have tried playing it in a few times, but either get the "bad track error 903" or "cannot read end of midi file error 902" .

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
That is definitely a bad file. It needs to have all of the data, so it can find the start, and end of the song. Your file has gotten corrupted, and it needs to be fixed.

Let's see if it can be done at home. Click here. That tool allows you to edit the content of Midi, so it can write the ending for you. Let's hope it works.

If you cannot open the file, there is a recovery company that you can use. Email the file, and they will send you a quote. Here is the address:

[email protected]

Let me know what you find in MidiQuickFix.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rusty,

thanks for the link to Midi Quick Fix - it's worked for the error 903 files! Do you have any suggestions for the "normal end of midi file not found error 902" problem? Thanks

Judith

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Is that what the keyboard is telling you? Do you have a midi editor on your computer? That's not a common message, but I am thinking that because Midi Quick Fix put an end on each of the midi files, that it's not the end that the keyboard is looking for. Putting them into a computer, and saving them to another file should fix that problem. The problem is, there is no batch process for that, they will have to be done one by one, unless QMF has an option to do so.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, no its not a keyboard message. I want to edit the midi file in an editor (Notation Composer) to correct mistakes and general tidy-up, but when I try to open some midis on the computer, I also get the error 902 message about not finding "the normal end of midi file". Any ideas?

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Is the midi fix not able to write the end of the files?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not for the error 902 files :-/ The midi fix won't open the file to begin with.

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I completely understand now. The problem is that the files were being made, and they never got finished. The information is there, and this is where it goes more into computer programming than music. There needs to be code written so that they have an end of midi file command. That's why they aren't opening. It looks something like this:

4D 54 72 6B 00 00 00 19 00 FF 51 03 05 7B 71 00 FF 58 |---------| |---------| || || || |------| || || MTrk Chunk size || || || Tempo || || (25 bytes) || || ||(ms per || || \/ || ||1/4 note) || || VLen value || || \/ || (Event at time 0)|| || VLen value || \/ || (event at || Beginning of || time 113) || meta-event || || \/ \/ Meta-event type: ???? set tempo
The problem is, I have no idea how to do that. The midi programs that are so easy to use, actually write this type of code. How many files have the 902 error?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
About 4/5. Have had the occasional one in the past but it seems this error is cropping up much more regularly recently!
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, since it's cropping up more often, I want you to back up all of your midi files. I need you to send me one of them so I can see if I can find a way to fix it.

After you back up your data, I want you to initialize the keyboard. Click here, download the manual, and look at the instructions on page 102 to initialize.

At this point, I don't know why your files are getting corrupt. I think you may have a bad floppy disc. Backing up the files to your computer will ensure that you always have a copy.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok. I always save the midi to computer so I have everything backed up! Will do the keyboard initialising later. How do I send you one of the error file midis?

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Well there's the perfect solution! Format the disk, and copy the midi files from the computer to the disk. You are one of the smart ones! Not many people see the need to back up their work until it's too late.

I think messing with the midi files will be like chasing our tails. Perform the format to fix any bad sectors, copy the files to the disc, and see if you get the same error.