Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting

Hello, I recently bought a Roland FP-50 stage piano. When

Customer Question

I recently bought a Roland FP-50 stage piano. When I hooked the audio outputs up to my speakers (two Krk Rokit 5's) the piano did not play through the speakers.

I was using what I'm quite sure is the correct type of cable (1/4" jacks or TRS line as I think it's also known) and running them into the correct balanced TRS input on the speakers. Neither cable yielded results with either speaker and these cables have never been faulty. The speakers also work with everything else.

I then tried with the other type of line that my speakers have an input port for (phono) and still no success.

I then tried with a completely different speaker with an aux-in and the thinner line type with the mini jack (used adapter into piano. No luck.

None of my headphones could pick up any audio when plugged into the output ports either.

I decided the piano must have a fault so returned it to the seller and they exchanged it for a different new one. When I got it home-exact same problem.

The manual doesn't say anything about turning on a setting or anything to activate the output ports and I've trawled through the menus and don't see any. Can't figure out where I'm going wrong. Would greatly appreciate any help or ideas.

Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. Let's take a look at your piano. Using the headphones, plug them into the main out L. Make sure there is nothing plugged into the headphone jack. Press the piano button to bring up the piano tone, then press the + button a few times. You should hear sound.

If not, press song and rhythm simultaneously. Use the slow/fast <> buttons to select Local Control, and use the + button to turn it on.

Please tell me the results.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rusty, thanks for your response and your suggestion. Unfortunately though, there is definitely no sound coming through the headphones. They are plugged into L (mono) port, local control is set to ON, and pressing the + key a few times didn't have any effect either (it just scrolled through the different piano sound options.) Can't understand it.

Any further ideas?

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Does the demo song or percussion play? Do you have it connected to a midi device?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, they only play through the speakers when the volume is up but not through the headphones from the output port. It's not connected to a midi device either. There's nothing else connected.

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I got that there's nothing else affecting the controls, are you saying that the demo song WILL play when the volume is up, but you still cannot hear the keys?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I mean the demo songs and key sounds are all in the same boat - I.e. both can be heard through the in-built speakers as normal regardless of whether anything is plugged into the output port (only when volume up of course.) But neither can be heard through the headphones in the output port at any stage.

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, let's take a look at your PA, just so I can rest easy knowing it's working. Are you able to get sound from another instrument when you plug it into the same ports?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I don't know what you mean by PA. I assume you're referring to plugging my headphones into some other instruments to see if I hear audio from them, but unfortunately I don't have any other instruments with a similar output port. I've tested the headphones with other things though and they definitely work.

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
The headphone amplifier is louder than the main outputs. Main out should be .3vdc, and the headphones go up a bit farther. What's confusing, is that piano should play right out of the box. Let's reset everything to factory settings, something isn't right...

Press the [SONG] and [RHYTHM] buttons simultaneously.
2. Press the (SLOW/FAST) buttons to select “FctReset.”
3. Press the [METRONOME] button.
The factory reset screen appears.
4. Press the (FAST) button.
The memory is reset to its factory values.
Once the memory has been reset, “END” is displayed.
Do NOT turn off the power while “Working.” is displayed.
5. Turn the power off, then on again.

Please tell me the results.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I'll try this later when I get home - at work on a night shift at the moment. Although I should point out that this piano is straight out of the box so should have original factory settings.

More significantly, it's actually the second one in a row to have this problem. Both brand new - I had the first one exchanged for a new one as I concluded this problem must be some sort of fault. So seeing as it is the case with both of them it's obviously not something I could have done since getting it. This is what really puzzles me, that there is no evidence if other people having any similar problem. Do you think there is even a remote possibility of a faulty group of these pianos being manufactured?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have just performed the factory reset to no avail.

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
That is actually the most likely possibility. Although it's rare, I have seen someone with 3 bad units in a row, but more often 2 faulty units in the past. Since you can barely hear the demo song with the volume turned up, there isn't a setting to mute that, other than mute. If it's turned up, you should be hearing it clearly.

One more thing to check... What is the model number of your headphones? Can you try another smaller set? I'm wondering if the headphone output was built intentionally low, which is unlikely, but it's the only stone left unturned.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've tried 4 different sets of headphones

I called Roland today and they maintain that it's very unlikely to have been a fault with two different units. They said that many headphones wouldn't work through the output port anyway because they're not self powered.

They suspected that the reason the piano won't play through my speakers could be to do with whether the cables are balanced or unbalanced. However I've tried with both now and still can't get sound

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Balanced headphone jacks will still pass the unbalanced signal to the left earpiece on the main outs. Do you have a small set of powered speakers you can plug into the outputs? Headphones aren't powered, they work with pulse controlled modulation, and work on a very minimal voltage. If we had a set of powered speakers to plug in, we could see if we can get any volume from the amplifier.

Like I said, 2 bad units are not likely, but it does happen from time to time, and I see it here on this site. If you don't have powered speakers, I recommend you take it back to the seller and plug into one of their amplifiers. That way you can test the keyboard, and get an exchange at the same time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately I bought it online from Thomann so I can't go into them. It was actually quite a hassle returning the first one.

The speakers that I've been using are self powered (two KRK Rokit 5's) and I also tried my other self powered speaker which is a Gear 4 ipod dock with an Aux In line. Both work with various other inputs but no success with either

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
When you were talking to Roland, did they say that Thomann is an authorized dealer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They didn't say really. They did explain that they were Roland Ireland I was talking to - the distributor for this country - and technically they only really deal with pianos that come from the stores they supply, and Thomann would be a separate entity. But they said they would still give me advice and I could call back tomorrow if it didn't work.

The cable thing was all they suggested really.

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, that's going to be a problem if they are not on the authorized dealer list. Thomann is out of Germany, and they seem to sell a lot of gear. Roland had to quit servicing all of their pianos, and they only service the ones bought from an authorized dealer.

I still think that you got 2 bad units. Here is someone in Ireland that you may find useful:

Peter Norris Music

54 Bucks Road

Isle of Man

(01624) 661794

Give them a call, and see if they have any tips for you. I would say your best bet is to return the keyboard you have, then buy one from Peter Norris. They are authorized by roland to sell the FP50, and for a good reason. Since Roland only deals with authorized dealers, they have a tighter relationship, and better customer service. Let me know if you are able to return the piano.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Looks like that guy's on the Isle of Man which isn't in Ireland.

I'll email Thomann tomorrow and see what they have to say about me claiming this second piano has the same fault. I suspect they'll suggest I'm doing something wrong. I'll let you know when they respond. Thanks

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Pardon my geographic skills... (embarassed). That is however, your Ireland Roland dealer. Always look for the authorized dealers, they have access to more resources. Please let me know what you hear from Thomann.