Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

Im using an octa capture with a laptop for playback I need

Customer Question

I'm using an octa capture with a laptop for playback I need left and right and 4 separate sends on 2,3,4&5. Can you please tell me how to set up the sound card. Logic has deserted me and I can't get it to work. Help urgently required, show at midday!
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. Which version of Logic are you using? Is it recognizing the Octa at all? How is it behaving now? With this info, I should be able to help you with the setup.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rusty, thanks for getting back, obviously we didn't make the urgent timescale. A reasonable question about logic as you assumed that I meant the programme rather than the process of reasoning.

I haven't solved my dilemma entirely. I am using Qlab as a playback system for theatre sound cues, this is routed through the Octa capture as left and right plus 4 aux sends to 4 powered spurs. I have put the device settings to Wave out ½, ¾, 5/6 straight through (with ½ to Front of house system) - at least that's what I'm aiming for however I seem to be getting cross talk and some mixing down. Is it not possible to select 1&2 except as a mix? Otherwise, I'm at a bit of a loss, should I pan ¾ & 5/6 left and right? Although I can't see why I would need to.

I am using an analogue mixing desk with 1 & 2 going through the main mix out, 3 panned left through sub 1, 4 & 5 through aux 1 and 2 and 6 through sub 2 panned right.

Any thoughts. It's got to be what's coming out of the sound card hasn't it?

regards,

Tony

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
I apologize about the time difference, I'm on the West coast, USA. It's morning here.

I think I'm getting the big picture of what you're trying to accomplish. When using aux channels, they are mono, and should always be panned far left and far right respectably to 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, etc... This will give you stereo separation.

Remember that when you are panning, that will give you total control of the individual channels as well. For example, if I want to pan the vocals for The Cars' "Moving in Stereo", and I wanted it to pan evenly, send 1,3,5 and 7 to the left side, 2, 4, 6 and 8 to the right side, and my vocal pan would evenly pan to the left and the right. This is great for stereo zones.

If you're trying to isolate each channel, say, for surround sound, this can be done as well. Split up your tracks, and send them to aux 1/2, 3,4, etc... Then pan 1 left, 2 right, 3 left, 4 right... This will allow you to have 8 different zones with 2 main outs and 6 aux, each independently fed.

In Qlab, you have 48 channels of audio output, so you can designate 1-8 as your outputs, and pan them accordingly, depending on what you want coming out of each speaker.

With that all said, I could use a typical setup that you are trying to do to help, if you are still having difficulties. Splitting up the aux outs by panning will give you a lot more freedom to do what you want. If you still have trouble, let me know what works, and what isn't working like it should, and we'll work out the bugs.