Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

Hi. I have a line 6 ax2. After half an hour of playing the

Hi. I have a line 6 ax2. After half an hour of playing the sound starts to break up and gets progressively worse. Is this likely to be the processor or something else breaking down?

Nick
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. Can you describe what it sounds like in more detail? I'm a sound engineer, and can usually pick out the fault by hearing the sound. If you shut off the amp for 30 seconds, does the problem reset?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi. Yes if the amp is turned off for 30 secs and then turned on again the noise persists.

The sound it makes is crackling and at the same time a fast trem affect.

What do you think?

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
That sounds like a processor to me. Digital equipment will crackle. How long does the crackling persist? When it happens, unplug the amp, turn the power on for 30 seconds, turn the power off, plug it back in and test it. Is the noise gone?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Once the crackling starts it doesn't stop, I think it will have to completely cool down. I'm just going to turn it on and see what it's up to now.

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Ok, get it to the crackling stage, turn the power off and unplug it. Turn the power switch on for 30 seconds, turn it off, then plug it in and test it. This will tell me a lot about the problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just turned it on and it started crackling immediately, so I think things are deteriorating, although now it sounds like it might be under water! if it is the processor, is it likely that it can be repaired or is it doomed?

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Please unplug it and turn the power on so I can find the fault. Wait 30 seconds, turn it off, then plug it in and test it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have just done as you asked, the problem is still there.

This may be relevant, whilst I had the amp on, I plugged into the aux channel, this appears to be un affected.

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Ok, since the aux channel is unaffected, that is an indicator that your processor is just fine. Are you able to open the amp to take a look with my instruction?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yeah, though it'll take me a few mins, how long are you about?

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
I'll be here all day. The most likely culprit is a fractured solder joint on your input circuit. It is a preamp, and it is connected to the input jack that gives you the crackle.

Unplug the amp and turn on the power for 1 minute to drain any residual power, it will zap you if you don't. Remove the front panel carefully. Plug a guitar into the problem input. Make sure the room is completely dark, plug it in, and play. If there is a broken solder joint, you will see a blue arc right where the problem is. Please let me know when you have a chance to do this. That is the most likely problem.

If you don't see a spark, turn the lights on, and wiggle the input connector to see if it changes the crackle. Check to make sure any connectors are tight while you're there, and please tell me the results.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Amp all in bits ha ha! couldn't see any sparks in the dark so did some wiggling and lo... no more crackle. I'm going to leave it on while I cook some dinner and see whether or not the crackle returns. Fingers crossed, speak in half an hour or so.

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
That is a really good sign. Make sure all screws and connectors are tight. It sounds like it's just a loose connection. One loose wire will cause that problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again.

An excellent spag bog, however the even better news is that the amp is performing perfectly.

There is a micro plug attached to the jack inputs and then to the CB, and I wonder if that was the problem, do you think that it would be ok to unplug it and give a dose of switch cleaner then plug it in again, or are these plugs not removable?

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Is it a molex connector, glued in place? Sometimes the female ends can separate, and they need to be squeezed back in so they hold a tight connection. If it's a removable plug, it will have a clip holding it in, and sometimes they use glue, which you can remove and repair.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think I'll just give it a dose of switch cleaner around that area and see what happen. If the problem returns, I'll try to remove the molex connector, generally speaking I tend to leave things alone if I can, no point in creating more problems, especially when one has very limited electrical knowledge like myself.

I would just like to thank you very much for your expert advice, you really have got me out of a jam. Top marks.

All the best and thanks again

Nick

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
No problem Nick, anytime! It could be that it rattled loose. I'd leave it alone until unless the problem returns. If you do decide to remove it, be very careful not to put stress on the board, and you should be fine.