Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

I have a Technics PCM C700 Portable organ, which has original

I have a Technics PCM C700 Portable organ, which has original recordings of instruments installed in it. Some of the sounds when I play, especially the piano, now sounds a little 'tinny' when I touch the key. This affects the tune I play . I know under the top of the organ I can lift up and it reveals the circuit boards. Can I apply a feather duster to this? Does it require cleaning ever? It is a lovely instrument with beautiful sounds, any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Bernard white
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. Never apply a feather duster to the organ! The way to clean it is to use a can of compressed air and a vacuum. Hold the vacuum 10 cm from the circuitry to catch the dust, and hold the compressed air on the other side of the circuitry 1/2 of a meter away from the circuitry, and blow the dust out. This may or may not help the tone, but it is great for the electronics. Dust is a conductor, and will deteriorate the electronics over time.

If the dust doesn't work, it sounds like there is a leaky capacitor either in your tone generator, or the amplifier circuit. Blow out the dust, test the organ, and tell me if it's still weak on the piano sounds.