Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

I have a Yamaha CLP 411.The lowest six keys have stopped playing

I have a Yamaha CLP 411.The lowest six keys have stopped playing any sound and some of the top notes sound slightly out of tune. I've tried a factory re-set but it didn't help. Any ideas?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. The bottom keys can be fixed, but if some of the keys are slightly out of tune, that will require some detailed work. Are you confident opening the keyboard and fixing the keys? It may require a service person to repair the keys that are out of tune, but we can definitely try the DIY methods first.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, Rusty. Thanks for your response. Yes, I'm confident to try anything suggested, but not tonight as it's too late at night. Can I suggest you tell me, individually, step by step what to do and that I let you know how it's going as we progress? I'll need to carry out your suggestions when I can fit them in. Thanks again and I look forward to working with you. Tim

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
I sure can, I don't need an immediate response. Here's the scope of the work:

Unplug it, and turn the power switch on to drain residual power. Wait 30 seconds.
Click here for the repair manual. The download link is just below the picture, and it takes a minute to show up. Refer to page 14 for disassembly. You need to get to the back of the keys.

You'll notice that when a key is pressed, the back side of it goes up and strikes a pressure sensitive pad, which makes the sound. Those get clogged with dirt and stop working over time. Give those a good cleaning with compressed air, and give your entire piano a good cleaning with it as well. Hold the air spray 2 feet away from any circuitry when spraying.

Also give the keys themselves a good cleaning with the air, they tend to be the dirtiest of the piano.

Feel free to plug it in and test the keys at this point. If they are still not working, there are Yamaha parts in the UK, and they are cheap. 0844(NNN) NNN-NNNN/strong>

We'll have to discuss the out of tune keys after the cleaning. Let me know how it ends up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'll give it a go as soon as I can get a can of compressed air and will let you know how it goes. Many thanks for your help so far. I'm impressed! Tim

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
No problem Tim, I'm here to help. Let me know when you get to it, and we can continue then.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just thought I'd let you know how things are going. I tried the compressed air, but that didn't work, though it did blow out a lot of dust from inside; no bad thing. While doing this, I saw that something must have been spilt in the vicinity of the non-playing keys and also noticed that the circuit board had been affected. I decided therefore to go further than I had intended and took off the circuit board which seemed to have ancient blackcurrant juice on it. This was also on the keys. I gently cleaned the circuits with isopropyl alcohol and then tried it out. The keys worked! I'm now individually cleaning the keys, a time-consuming task but I'll keep at it over the next few days when I have the time . So far so good! I'll keep you informed and add my rating when I've finished. So far, I'm really, really pleased. Thanks so much.

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome. Although it's a time consuming task, there can be significant restoration of sound when you give it a thorough cleaning.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rusty

I've finished cleaning the keys and the circuit boards. The top-range board also had something sticky on it and having cleaned that off, it seems to have helped the tuning. I'll be testing it fully over the next few days. All the keys are also working again, and...I managed to put everything back together again without too much difficulty. So thanks so much for you help. I really appreciate your help and advice and will be giving you the highest grade I can. Brilliant and quick service.

Best wishes

Tim

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
I'm glad it went back into tune! With dust on the circuits, it can pull a small amount of the power away from where it needs to go, resulting in a slight detune. With it clean, the power is going where it is supposed to go. Let me know how it turns out!