Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

I have a Yamaha cvp 50, the sound is distorted and speakers

I have a Yamaha cvp 50, the sound is distorted and speakers are crackly, can this be repaired? Is it something you can do yourself? Or is there anyone you know who can help in Hampshire, fleet
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. Most of the time, crackly speakers are caused either by dirt on top of the speaker, or a tear in the speaker's outer foam. You'll need to unplug it, and remove the cover. Once you get to the speakers, please tell me the condition, and I'll tell you how to fix them.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will it still be the speakers, as the crackle is still there through headphones?
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Does it get worse when you adjust the volume?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not really, all sounds are distorted, you can't really distinguish the sounds at all. Sounds a bit like a really poor old stylophone
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
What about the percussion, or demo song? Do they sound bad too?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes all sound really bad?
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hmm, this isn't a normal symptom. One more check, plug your headphones into the main output L. Is that also distorted? (you should only hear sound from the left side)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried that now, strangely enough the speaker sound is better now but still get a crackling distortion even though the sound is a lot cleaner than before.......very strange
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Take a look at your EQ. Are the levels turned all the way up? It sounds like you have a bad gain structure. Since it's distorted in the speakers and headphones, that means that it's not an amplifier issue. Since the percussion is also distorted, it means it's not your tone generator.

Take a look in your settings, and make sure nothing is turned all the way up. Tell me what you find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do I have to take the top off to do that?
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
No, we're not going to have to remove the cover for this fix. EQ is in your menu. Is the distortion there at low volume?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Don't have EQ as a menu option and can't see it in the manual
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
I'm having trouble finding that too... What I'm trying to do is take a look at your gain structure. Gain structure is the heart of the sound. Press your memory buttons at the top to recall the settings. Do any of those buttons help the distortion?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nope don't have any memory buttons, only for when a disk is loaded in
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
You do, please see the illustration below.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ah, dozy me..... They don't appear to do anything. Am not hearing any difference
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Is the buzzing constant, regardless of how loud it is turned up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Pretty much it's just a lower volume.......it is a lot better for some reason than it was before.......is there a way I van take the top off and check the speakers.......would dust cause an issue
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Not if it's also through the headphones. Taking it apart is not necessary. Dust can build up on the speakers, causing them to buzz, but it will not affect the headphones.

Pay attention to the sliders on the left side, just to the right of the volume knobs. Turn those down (slide to the left). Does the problem go away?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, still the same....I also tried the manual volume slider too....it's like a hiss distorting the sound. At lower volumes it is less but the attack of the note when played is not clear
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
A hiss... That is another symptom... Is the hiss there when you're not playing, and the volume is turned up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No just when playing the note
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
It really sounds like you have a weak mixer circuit. It's what the percussion and tone generator go through, just before it's distributed to the amplifiers.

It's going to need to go to the shop. It's beyond a dust problem. You can blow out the dust with compressed air between the keys and vents, but I don't believe that is going to fix the problem. Click here.

Before going to service, unplug it. Turn on the power for 1 full minute to drain all of the static from the keyboard. Plug it back in, and tell me how it sounds.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Pretty similar, though it does sound better after about a minute, but still the slight distortion of the sound
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
That's going to happen with deteriorating electronics. They tend to warm up, like an older car, and they start to run better.

The mixer circuit is not a very expensive, intricate PCB. Since we've done all of this troubleshooting, it will save the shop some time, reducing the labor for the repair. Capacitors are cheap, and there are only a few of them.

It will continue to deteriorate, but it won't hurt other elements of the piano if you wait to have it fixed. Only the mixer will continue to deteriorate as a result of this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Understand, thank you for your patience and help!
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome. Thanks for using JustAnswer.