Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

EX5 How do I record a different voice on track 1 to track

EX5 How do I record a different voice on track 1 to track 2 and so on?
When I change voice for track 2 the recorded voice on track 1 also changes?
What am I doing wrong/not doing ?
HELP
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

Hello there,

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you and refund your deposit.

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Adam
I'm happy to wait for an answer however, if you don't think you will find an expert please let me know. I havn't used the EX5 synth for 15 years. I could do what I'm asking then - it is some siimple thing which I've forgotten.
Let me know if you, or your expert needs me to elaborate on the question.
Kind Regards
Keith
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

Hello Keith,

Thanks for replying.

If an expert needs more information from you they will reply and ask.

In the mean time though, I'll continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

If you decide on a refund, or wish to keep the credit for a future question, then of course we'd honour it.

Adam

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hello Keith, my name is Rusty. Are you recording to the EX5, or are you using a computer program to record?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Rusty
I am recording to the EX5
Keith
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hi, sorry for the delay. I've been reading into that keyboard, and I don't think that is possible. However, what I can offer you is training on how to do that with a midi interface and your computer.

With midi, you'll be able to assign each track in the computer to a separate midi channel. On your keyboard, you can set the midi transmit channels to match your computer, and you'll have completely separated midi files.

The keyboard is only designed to record, then overdub to the next track.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Rusty
Thank you for trying to help. However your answer is definitely wrong.
I havn't used my ex5 for over 15 years so I am rusty ( no pun intended)
I have successfully recorded multi track. I did a friends wedding music and used all 16 tracks with different instruments. I did loads of others too. It can be done - I just can't remember how. It's simple I think - I'm just not choosing the right settings. You are able to record piano on track one then whilst hearing the piano, record sax on track two then hear them both whilst recording bass on track three etc. etc
Please help it's driving me mad !
Maybe go through Yamaha ?
Look forward to hearing from you
Kind regards Keith
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I think we're getting closer. I was under the impression that every track was recording when you play, and not separating the instruments. That was the reason for me explaining playing one track, then playing the next on another track, etc... It sounds like you're playing piano, then when you try to record to track 2, both parts record to track 2. Let's look for an aux (like a sound board would use for monitoring).

Give me a bit to look for an aux channel for monitoring. That way it won't record what is playing, as it will not be monitored by the record track.
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Look in the mix settings, and tell me where they are set.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Rusty how do I find the mix settings ?
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Press Edit, then the mix settings are in part/mlt.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I have voice and song on press edit get Top of Track
End of track displayed
If I have voice song and knob mode on I can't see part/mix ?
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Let me show you what I'm looking at. Click here, and look at page 158.

I appreciate your patience while we figure this out. We're on the right track, and I know the concept of why it is happening. I too, am a little rusty on that exact keyboard, so it will take a little back and forth communicating to find the problem. I believe it is a routing issue; It is supposed to route to the amplifier, but not the recorder. For some reason, the previous tracks are playing on the record track, not on the aux/monitor output. To make it harder, they may have called it something else.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I've got the same manual p158 though is for performance mode which is real time I think - don't think it's what we want though look ing again maybe it is. Give me a minute I'll try to assign different voice to each layer multi menu p158
Do 't go away ? Pleas acknowledge or I may not get a reply to expert box
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.

Yes, we are recording the performance. That part uses the terminology that I'm used to, so I believe we're in the right spot.

The thing that is happening is the same if I monitor through anything but an aux channel. If I monitor on the main when I record, the music gets recorded to the new track, along with the new instrument. If I don't send the music to the main, but rather send it to an aux, then listen to that aux, only the new instrument is going out the main, to the record track. The trick is to separate the output, so that the music that you're listening to doesn't go to the next track.
I have to leave soon, but I will be back in the morning, possibly later this evening. I will get your message when I return. I'm not leaving you, I'll help you get it fixed. Since you have the confidence and have done it before, I'll stick with you until we get it sorted out.
If you don't see the reply box, refresh the page. :-)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK that didn't work I don't know where you are It is 00:15 hours here I'm going to bed Please contact me when your next available - let me know what time you have.
Nice one - speak soon we'll crack it !
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
I'm back, it's a little after 10am. Were you able to find the PART/MLT menu?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good Morning Rusty,
Yes I think it's cracked it. I had a play this morning. Performance mode - edit - select voices for each layer then song record seems to work ok.
Didn't have much time this morning. Will check it tonight and let you know later or around this time tomorrow. Are you USA West Coast ?
Cheers
Keith
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
So it's working! That's great! Be sure to let me know how it plays tonight. Yes, I'm on the West Coast, USA.
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience: Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Rusty
Well good news. It seems to work fine. Strangely though I don't recall doing it this way before - I think it was a lot more straight forward. Perhaps there is another way.
Anyway it works great. Thank you very much for your efforts - all I've got to do now is to understand the rest of the manual. Another 15 years !!
With Kind Regards
Keith