Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

Hi I have a Yamaha Portatone PSR-6000. I have not used this

Hi I have a Yamaha Portatone PSR-6000. I have not used this for approx 12 months. I have just set it up again and on switching on the LCD screen is reading ! Back up time exceeded! all data was initialised. I have selected English as the language and pressed OK button but nothing has happened. The screen is still is as was!! Can you advise me please
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. It's going to have to come apart, do you feel comfortable with that, or do you want me to tell you what's wrong with it so you can know what to expect at the repair shop?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I take it apart what should I do?? Can you tell me what's wrong with it
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
When you open it up, you'll see a round shiny battery. It's the flat round type. That battery has gone out. When that battery goes out, all of the flash memory is lost. That's what the initialized message means.

Those batteries are common, and the model number is XXXXX the battery. You can find a replacement at most drug stores, or electronics stores.

The problem you'll find, is that once you replace the battery, the programming may not be there. In that case, put the keyboard together, and click here. That is a list of service centers in the UK. For about $30 they will flash the operating system onto the keyboard, and it will be good as new.

Replacing the battery yourself will save you nearly $75. Be sure to discharge static from your body frequently by touching a metal appliance. Let me know if you have any questions.