Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

Have a yamaha dsp-Z7 amplifier that is not turning on. Doesnt

Customer Question

Have a yamaha dsp-Z7 amplifier that is not turning on. Doesn't work at all. Not sure if a wrong button pressed? Had apple tv on then not sure what happened
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. Let's check a couple of things.

First, unplug the unit, and make sure the power cord is firmly seated into where it plugs into the amplifier.

Second, check the speaker cables on the back of the unit. Make sure there are no stray strands of wire touching across terminals, and that the connections are clean. Also check at each speaker.

Please tell me if you find anything.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rusty

Firstly my husband has done all this and nothing happens. My daughter had a few friends round and we had Apple TV running through the amp as with everything else that amp has to be on.

We've contacted the supplier now and taken the amp to them.. The amp turns on then cuts out so is in protection mode they have said. Why does this happen?

Await your response

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
When it goes into standby, it means there is a DC offset in the amp circuit. In lay man's terms, there is a short somewhere. This can be something as simple as two speaker terminals touching with a stray strand of wire, to something on the component level, like a burnt transistor or capacitor.

The easiest way to check if it's something internal or external, is to disconnect all wires except the power wire. If it stays on, it's external. If it shuts off, it's internal. When it's internal, there is a testing procedure, which means troubleshooting takes less time, and saves you money on labor. Depending on the part needed, is what is going to determine if you need another amp, or if it's an affordable fix.