MusicTech14
MusicTech14, Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience in service & support of music instruments
60974588

Hi I have three broken keys on my Technics KY2000 keyboard.

Hi I have three broken keys on my Technics KY2000 keyboard. Do I have to indicate which keys they are or do I just order three keys and replace them? Thanks
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

Hello there,

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Please continue but surprised that there is no so-called expert around to answer what I consider to be a very straight forward question!
Expert:  MusicTech14 replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I'm sorry you haven't received an answer yet. Unfortunately Technics closed down its keyboard business a number of years ago, so there are not many techs that still work on them. It also means that most parts, including keys, are no longer available.

The answer to your question is that on any keyboard you would need to specify which notes of the octave you need, as a C key is not shaped the same as a B key, etc . All of the sharp, or black keys, are identical however. On some keyboards the C & F keys are the same, as are the B & E keys. But that is not the case on all keyboard models.

Now, getting on to parts availability. You can no longer order parts from Technics. That means you will need to find another source, like someone that is parting out a keyboard and selling used keys on eBay. You posted that you have a KY2000 keyboard. I can't find any information on on that model. Did you mean a KN2000? If so, click here for an eBay search that will bring up a bunch of replacement keys.

I noticed the keys on the eBay page look a lot like the keys used in the 61 key version of the Korg M3, which should still be available from here. So, although I can't confirm it without getting my hands on a KN2000, that is another possible source for replacement keys. If you don't have any other choice, you can order one to try out.

I hope I have satisfactorily answered your question. Please let me know if you need any more information or clarification on this issue.

MusicTech14, Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience in service & support of music instruments