Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

Roland EP-7E Electronic Piano Power jack very intermittent

Customer Question

Roland EP-7E Electronic Piano

Power jack very intermittent contact. Main board appears to be glued-in. After all screws removed and ribbon cables freed, the board is still firmly held from underneath and the back panel attached is firmly anchored in the slot. Is there some other hidden fixing method?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. The female pins are what spread apart and lose connection. Since the female connection is on the power supply, replace the power supply. Since it sounds like you're already inside the keyboard, check to make sure the outside contacts are making contact. I have no reason at this time to suspect a bad input jack, but rather a bad power supply. Please tell me what you find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rusty,

The power jack had been twisted due to the power lead having had a knock which left the plug emerging from the back panel at an angle less than 90 deg. and very intermittent contact. The power supply is the earlier type (mains tx and bridge) and if the plug on the end of the lead was faulty I would just replace the plug; this was why I wanted instructions for removing the main panel to enable replacement of the power jack.

I have been away for the weekend and haven't had chance to look at it again yet. I will let you know what I find.

John B

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Ok, let me give you a couple of tools:

http://www.synfo.nl/servicemanuals/Roland/EP-7_SERVICE_NOTES.pdf

Once you take out the power PCB (22925904 2/4), you'll notice that you can de-solder the jack and replace it with part number (13449726).

Keep this service manual handy, and save it to your desktop. It has a great troubleshooting guide in case you have future problems.