Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

I have a Tascam 564 which has worked well since Feb 1999. with

I have a Tascam 564 which has worked well since Feb 1999. with light to moderate use. Today when putting in various sorts of disc all I got on the screen was TOC READING. The discs did not do anything else and I have had to eject each one as the proposed recording session as now had to be posponed indefinietely. There is a slight repeatative noise from the machine as it tries to register the table of contents. Can this repair be carried out?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. Sorry to hear you're having trouble. There is a problem with your laser eye. Sometimes it can be easy to fix, but there is a big indicator that it may need to go into the shop, due to the repetitive noise.

The first thing to do is to try a laser lens CD/DVD cleaning disc, you can get these from most electronics shops, you usually have to insert the disc and let it run for a couple of minutes to clear the dust / dirt from the laser pickup. You may find that this totally cures the issue.

However it is possible that the laser inside the unit has failed, this can sometimes be down to a manufacturing defect, if after cleaning you are still having problems then this will no doubt be the case. You have two choices, if you are very competent with electronics repairs then you can purchase the parts and fix it yourself.

Or you can contact a local electronics repair shop and have them fix it. I'd personally recommend taking the unit to a specialist as they can be a pain to take apart, and if you are not 100% sure on what you are doing you can further damage the unit.