Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

My keyboard wont power up at all.

Customer Question

My keyboard won't power up at all. It hasn't been used in over a year. It is a Yamaha Clavinova.

Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Dan T. replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to the site! I'm Dan, and I'd be happy to help.

Which model Clavinova is this? What year, also please?

Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It says CVP.30 I don't know what year it is as we got it second hand but its at least 7 years old. It did work fine until last year.

Expert:  Dan T. replied 3 years ago.

The CVP-30 is from 1989, but I'm afraid I can't find any service data for it. I will have to opt out of this question, which will allow another expert to assist you. If they can help, they'll notify you. Sorry for the wait, and thanks for your patience!

Dan
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. The first thing I want you to do is take the power supply in and get it tested. You can have it tested for free at any electronics repair shop.

Check the voltage on the power supply, and make sure it matches the power rating where it plugs into the piano. Please tell me what you see.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't understand what you mean by power supply? Do you mean the plug? It did work fine for the first couple of years.

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I mean the plug. Yours has a black box on it, correct? They can go bad if bumped, and are the leading cause of no power on the board whatsoever. Make sure the jack is plugged in all the way, and that there is proper voltage coming from the power supply. It's a simple, free test at the electronics shop.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No it doesn't have a black box. Its a normal plug and we have checked the fuse already

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Ok, sometimes those plugs can spread out on the female end. Push on the cable where it plugs into the keyboard while trying to turn it on. Move it from side to side, trying to make contact. Do you see any change?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, that doesn't make any difference.

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Ok, let me look into this a bit further. What is the exact model number of the Clavinova?