Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

I have a Roland FP7 and the damper pedal has suddenly stopped

I have a Roland FP7 and the damper pedal has suddenly stopped working. Can you help
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. Grime can build up in the contacts, or worse, the electronics inside the keyboard can go bad. Here's what you can do:

Test another pedal with your piano. This will tell us whether it's the pedal, or the electronics. If another working pedal works, you lucked out and we can fix the pedal.

If you cannot get your hands on another pedal, you can take your pedal to a music store and have them test it.

If you find it's the pedal that's the problem:
Take the bottom off of the pedal. You need to access the contacts that touch when the pedal is pressed. Clean the contacts with a cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). If you cannot reach the contacts, pour a small amount onto the contacts. Press the pedal about 20 times, repeat. This will break up the tarnish and the contacts will have a good connection. Turn the pedal upside down and shake it to get rid of the excess alcohol. Once it's dry, plug it in, and tell me the results.