Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

Im using io2 with Logic Pro 9. Every time I play a guitar

Customer Question

I'm using io2 with Logic Pro 9. Every time I play a guitar or keyboard chord, or anything, I get a high-pitch 'crackling' sound. It started out of nowhere and won't go away. I'm not able to tell whether io2 is causing this problem or whether it's a fault with Logic Pro 9. Either way it's brought me to a complete halt. Help!
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. I'm a sound engineer, I can help you.
There are two things that can cause the digital crackle. The first is the least likely, that your audio interface is faulty, or has a leaky capacitor. This will require a new interface, or having yours repaired, which is not always cheaper than replacement.
The other thing that can cause that sound is digital clipping. When the sound gets above 0, it squares off the wave and causes digital crackle. There is no such thing as a digital level over 0. To fix it, turn down the input on your interface, or turn down your guitar volume. You need to be between -14 and -6 on your recordings for optimal levels. Your plugins are designed to work within this range, and you will find that the entire song will be easier to mix.