Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

Hi,I have a dynacord 600 pa amp and sometimes I only use one

Hi,I have a dynacord 600 pa amp and sometimes I only use one speaker when performing for old folk party's as I don't want to have it too loud for them,is this the right way ? or should I use both speakers and lower the volume ?
Ger
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. I'm a sound engineer, I can help you.
Using one speaker to fill an area with sound definitely has to be turned up louder to produce the same amount of sound pressure level (SPL) across the room. Using two speakers you can produce the same amount of SPL with both speakers at a lower volume.
Definitely, using two speakers is better to use at a lower volume. I run small and large systems, and if I use smaller speakers, they have to be turned up very loud to fill the area, and it's blaring in front of the PA. That is the reason I use larger speakers, and more of them, so there is more sound going out, but at comfortable levels, which makes listening anywhere in the festival easy to listen to, and no place is too loud.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rusty,

Many thanks for your email,i understand what your saying however what i omitted to say is i use backing tracks and would i be right in saying that i would not get the right quality from the tracks by using one speaker rather than two speakers ?

Ger

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
That is a different story. When you connect only one speaker to a stereo track, you're only going to hear the left side. To get both left and right channels to go through one speaker, you'll need to use 2 channels on your mixer. Say you have a mic in channel 1, plug the left into channel 2 left, and the right channel into channel 3 left. Notice that both left and right channels plug into the left channel on the mixer. That will combine the two signals, and both of the channels will play out of the main left output on your mixer, giving the speaker both channels on a mono mix.