Anthony F.
Anthony F., Engineer
Experience:  Amplifier and keyboard repair.
34633555

I have a Yamaha APX900 electro-acoustic guitar. My problem

I have a Yamaha APX900 electro-acoustic guitar. My problem is with battery usage. New 9 volt batteries last only a few hours when fitted to the guitar. I am aware that leaving the jack lead plugged in flattens the battery, but that is not the problem. Even when the lead is not fitted, the battery flattens really quickly. On live gigs, I sometimes have to fit two batteries in the one night. The pre-amp is model AB3A Rev1 . I have now removed it from the guitar for examination. The battery problem is not a sudden occurance, it has been there since I bought the guitar new a few years back. It is only recently that I started to use the guitar frequently at gigs and the short battery life is driving me nuts. The sound begins to deterioriate after about 90 minutes and the battery is totally gone at 2 hours
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Anthony F. replied 3 years ago.
Anthony F. :

m not sure this is a problem they do run down batteries I would suggest you retrofit a 9VDC wall wort power supply to supliment the batteries for the show youll have to wire it in with a jack instalation or just put the 9vdc batt connector on the end wire it oposite and it will plug in instead of a battery . we are always installing new batteries for shows as soon as the show is over its dead ...

Customer:

The batteries on my other guitars last for weeks of gigging and for months when the guitar is idle. I take your point about using a 9VDC power supply, I may have to resort to that. I am left wondering if there is a problem with my pre-amp or is this a feature of Yamaha pre-amps! If I'd known that, I wouldn't have bought the guitar in the first place.

Anthony F. :

do you have a tech sheet? does it list the current draw?

Customer:

No information whatever with the pre-amp. And as I said, no help whatever from Yamaha customer service. Just wondering if I should source a replacement pre-amp or if this is normal for this type of pre.

Anthony F. :

if it works and it sounds good has plenty of gain I cant see anything being wrong with it that would cause exessive batt drain without it not working right ....

Anthony F. :

check the switch on the jack make sure it releases when you unplug it

Anthony F. :

it should not kill a batt if you are not using it

Customer:

Thats what I thought too. So I now remove the battery every time I finish playing. I'll check the jack switch just in case. The other solution is to sell the guitar and get one (not a Yamaha) that works properly. Thanks for the advice.

Anthony F. :

Thanks for using JA if there aything else I can do please let me know Have a great day if I find anything useful Ill post it !!!

Customer:

Great. Thanks.