MusicTech14
MusicTech14, Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience in service & support of music instruments
60974588

Roland D50 2 patch number buttons are not working(3 and 6)

Roland D50 2 patch number buttons are not working(3 and 6) Can I fix it? or does it need a proper fixer
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  MusicTech14 replied 3 years ago.
MusicTech14 :

Thank for your question. Whether you can do this yourself depends on your comfort with opening and working on electronics using a soldering iron. Under the front panel you would find circuit boards with switches soldered to them. You would need to remove these boards, de-solder the old switches and replace them with new switches. So at a minimum you would have to be comfortable opening up the D50 and working with a soldering iron. Beyond that it is not that difficult. The only other issues of concern would be keeping track of where the screws and where any connectors you unplug go.

MusicTech14 :

You can find the switches you need here -http://www.bustedgear.com/part_switch_tactile.html#SWTAE1

MusicTech14 :

Let me know if that answers your question, or if you need more information.

Customer:

I think it answers my question as I can't see any repairers in the area. I'll need to find someone more used to (I assume) small soldering. Where do I get new switches?

Customer:

Doh! I thought busted gear was a Plan or layout but it is not its where I can find the switches. Yes?

Customer:

I assume its the same switches for Patch Bank and Patch Numbers

Customer:

I have seen where Keys don't work and they say similar to you but are they the same switches(it hasn't happened to me yet)

MusicTech14 :

Yes. But I just realized that you are located in the UK. I'm not sure if they sell outside the US. You can also get parts directly from Roland UK by going to www.roland.co.uk/MyRoland/ and creating an account. They can also help you locate a service center

MusicTech14 :

The keys are not the same switches. The keys have dinner contact strips under under then that contain switch contacts. The busted great site had a tutorial on key repairs that you can get to from the busted gear home page. The pictures there should be very informative on how the keys work

MusicTech14 :

"dinner"was supposed to be "rubber". Autocorrect strikes again!

Customer:

Doh! again. Why didn't I think of them first??? The same as Electrician or plumber you don't pay for what they do but for what they know. Many Thanks you have earnt your money

MusicTech14 :

Your welcome

Customer:

I'll say goodbye for now. At least I know what I'm trying to achieve now. The D50 is such a great keyboard I would hate to lose it