Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

Hi We have a Roland HP102e piano. Today it has not been possible

Customer Question

We have a Roland HP102e piano. Today it has not been possible to switch on the piano. When I press and release the ON/OFF switch the power light comes on briefly and then goes off again. If I hold down the ON/OFF switch the piano operates normally.
Is this a faulty ON/OFF switch and if so how do I get it repaired/replaced? Also how much would this cost?
Brendan
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. That is an indicator of a bad IC. When you press the button, it activates a switch that turns on the piano. The switch is still working, but without power applied to the IC, it won't keep the piano on.
http://www.roland.co.uk/MyRoland/
Log into your Roland account and start a support ticket. It's going to have to go to Roland to be repaired. Your total should be under 100 Euros for parts, labor and shipping.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Rusty
That doesn't explain the fact that the piano works if I keep the switch pressed down.
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
It does actually. When you press the button, it sends a voltage to the IC. The IC is supposed to keep power on certain pins for the piano to run. Since it's turning off when you release the button, it means the IC isn't doing its job.