Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

Hello. My Korg D 1600 digital recorder will not turn on from

Customer Question

Hello. My Korg D 1600 digital recorder will not turn on from standby mode. it was working fine 2 days ago. I shut it down to standby mode as usual. I note the pilot light is flashing but keeping the button pressed down to turn it on as normal causes no response. There is an audible pulse signal in the headphones in time with the flashing pilot light. Please help.
Martin Beckers
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. That pulse indicates a problem with the power supply. Standby uses very little power, but keeps your capacitors energized when you are away. Are you able to open it up and check for leaky capacitors, and voltage in the power supply?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Rusty. I have opened the unit and taken up the main circuit board, and in doing so I noticed the push button that switches it from standby to on was stuck down, seems it has a broken flange. I removed it and put the unit back together, but trying to operate the unit by pressing the pin through the button hole still did turn on the power. How do I check for leaky capacitors and which ones? I have some soldering skills but that;s about it. Is this something I could do myself?

Martin Beckers

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
The testing would be with a multimeter. How much of the button did you remove? It may have stayed down long enough to burn up the switch. If you have a multimeter, test the power supply for voltage at various spots. Hold the black probe on a chassis screw, and use the red to test in various points.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Rusty. I have a multimeter, but will be away from home now until Sunday. Hope I can contact you after I have done some testing if I can't get it working. Hopefully you're right about the switch.

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Sunday is fine, I will be on and offline.