Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

Hi I have a Yamaha PSR-740 keyboard. I have several keys that

Hi I have a Yamaha PSR-740 keyboard. I have several keys that have become locked on full volume so that however softly you touch them they produce an extremely loud sound. Is there any way I can fix this?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please try for a little longer I don't really want to give up on this keyboard as it has so many good points. Thanks Eddie

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Hello Eddie, my name is Rusty. Are you able to take the keyboard apart with my instructions? If so, I have good news for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes if you tell me how to take apart the keyboard I will give it a go. Eddie

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
There are velocity sensitive pads in Yamaha keyboards. When you strike a key, the back of the key goes up and hits those pads. The pads can get worn out over time, losing their ability to be velocity sensitive, resulting in a full contact sound when you hit the key.
Take a note of the bad keys, and unplug the keyboard.
Remove the screws from the bottom of the keyboard. Sometimes screws are hidden beneath access panels, so don't pry the keyboard apart. It should come apart with ease.
When you remove the bottom, you will see the backs of the keys. Hit a couple of keys to get used to the mechanics. See the pads? That's what we have to replace. Here is the Yamaha parts department where you can order the pads:
http://uk.yamaha.com/en/service_centers/
One of these service centers should be able to ship the parts to you. Let me know if you have trouble getting parts.
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience: Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have sent off for the part but am still waiting for it to arrive. I will let you know the outcome as soon as I have tested it. Thanks for your help so far. Eddie

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
I'll be here in case you have any questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rusty
some good news and some bad. The part has arrived and I have fitted it. All the notes that worked before still do but the bad one is just the same. Any more suggestions?
Best wishes Eddie
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Oh wow, that is a first... What are the notes that are bad? (All D keys, all E keys, etc...) When there are some notes that are out, the pads will fix it. I'm looking for consistency in the fault, which will indicate a fault in the tone generator.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The note I tried to fix is the second C key up from the left of the keyboard. I have now noticed that the 4th D up is too soft and the 5th A up doesn't work at all, although I haven't touched these two. I have tended to think that the problem was to do with my grandchildren banging on the keyboard but now am not so sure. Over to you. Thanks

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Was there no change at all when you replaced the pads? This is unusual...