Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

When playing my PSR 620 the touch sensitivity is unpredictable

When playing my PSR 620 the touch sensitivity is unpredictable and sometimes plays very loud. Would you please advise what I can do?
Roger.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. Is the problem always on the same keys?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Rusty, it's not always the same keys. It does appear to be at the treble end of the keyboard.

Roger.

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Hmm, are they all in the same vicinity, or is it completely random? Are you comfortable opening the piano with my instructions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh Dear I'm not comfortable to open the instrument. I think I had better get it seen to. It's a big asset to us all here.

Roger.

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Ok Roger, it's great that you know your limitations. Although it's a simple repair for an expert, it can damage the keyboard if not done properly. Here's what's happening:
There are velocity sensitive pads that are struck when you hit the keys. These pads wear out over time, and start acting funny, just like you described. They are cheap to replace, and should only take 1-2 hours to complete.
http://uk.yamaha.com/en/service_centers/
Choose DIGITAL KEYBOARDS as your category, and that will bring up your nearest service center. They will use genuine OEM parts, and it will sound like new when you get it back.