Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

I have just got a Technics kn920 keyboard from a friend. One

I have just got a Technics kn920 keyboard from a friend. One or two of the keys are not working, and a few are loud (no touch sensitivity). How easy is it to fix? (I do have a technical background knowledge in electronics and reasonably practical)
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Adam
I am happy to wait for a few days. My only alternatives seem to be to take pot luck with a local music shop or take it apart and fiddle with it. I would rather find someone who has faced this issue on a regular basis. Even just getting an understanding of how the keys operate (I assume they progressively close circuitry linked to a signal generator of some form). As a last resort, I would be prepared to sacrifice the keys at either end of the keyboard, as I initially have a fairly limited need.
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. Sorry for the delay, I've been working in the field this week. That problem can be fixed at home. There are velocity sensitive pads that are struck when the key is pressed. They make contact with the pad, and it sends a signal to your tone generator to make a sound.
When the pads wear out, they will make the key not sound due to no contact, or they make full contact and they are very loud.
Remove the bottom of the piano, and inspect those pads. You can still get pads, as they are a maintenance item.
To order the parts, call Mike Barden, he's a Technics specialist in the UK. 01483 236161
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience: Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting