Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

I have a Roland ep-97 with a plug in pedal, which has ceased

I have a Roland ep-97 with a plug in pedal, which has ceased to work. I took the pedal down to my nearest Roland shop which happens to be Harrods and they plugged it into one of their keyboards where it worked, so the problem seems to be within my own keyboard. I did get it going again once by hoovering the socket, not full blast of course, but I'd rather have it repaired properly. I'm in London W11, and am a bit ancient when it comes to heaving keyboard about, so do you know of anyone who can fix this by coming to me?
Mary
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mary, my name is Rusty. House calls are a tough one to pinpoint, but I can definitely tell you where to look. The problem seems to be a broken solder joint, which is a repair that can be done by any confident electronics technician with a soldering iron.
You'll have to call your local electronics repair shops, and see if one will do a house call. Although it's not general practice, you may find someone willing to do the service.
Basically the top comes off, and they can reach the electronics. They will re-flow your solder joint, and it should work like new. You are looking at about an hour of labor, plus the house call fee.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Rusty. There was a time when I was quite happy with soldering iron myself but my sight is not what it used to be. I'll see if I can find a local.

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you have trouble finding a service person. I'll stick with you until someone is able to help you with the repair.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Rusty, I'll start hunting around tomorrow, but will log off for now.