Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

My Yamaha P85 digital piano has suddenly died. No power at

Customer Question

My Yamaha P85 digital piano has suddenly died. No power at all. I've tried a new power plug/transformer thinking maybe that was the problem but still absolutely dead. Any thoughts?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Rusty :

Thank you for entrusting me with your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to

assisting you. Please note, click on Reply to Expert tab to reply to me in the reply box that pops open

or, if the reply box is showing, just type your reply to me there. And please don't

forget to rate me positive when we are finished. Let's get you fixed up so you can be

on your way.

Rusty :

There are three things that can cause this:
1. The power supply can go dead. You've already ruled this out.
2. The fuse has blown in the power distribution box inside the piano.
3. This is the worst, a transformer has gone out. Usually this will give you signs before it goes out, like buzzing, or intermittent problems.

Rusty :

There are three things that can cause the power to be completely out.

1. Dead power supply. You ruled this out.
  2. Blown fuse in the power distro.
  3. Dead transformer or capacitor in the power distro.

Since the power is dead across the board, that pinpoints the problem to the power distro unit. Open it up, and look for a fuse near where the power supply plugs in. Tell me what you find.
JACUSTOMER-5oahqw0q- :

Hi RustyApologies for not getting back to you sooner. The thing is although you say that the fault is due to possibly a blown fuse or dead transformer I have no idea how to access either as I'm in no way technically minded and unless there is a simple way to locate the problem without having to undo hundreds of screws and even then not knowing what to look for quite frankly I'm terrified to start poking around at the machine. Would I better off trying to find someone who is a specialist in these matters rather than attempting to rectify the fault myself do you think? Denis King

Rusty :

It's a pretty technical approach, and there are many tiny screws. The entire thing must be opened to diagnose the problem. What is your zip code? I'll try to find someone in your area.