Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

I get a fuzzy sound when connecting a pioneer a10k amp to

Hi I get a fuzzy sound when connecting a pioneer a10k amp to my pioneer Pl990 turntable. Do I need to remove the shorting bar on the speakers even though it is not bi wiring ?The sound is fine when connected to the miicro hi fi system. Just bought the amp today.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for entrusting me with your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you. Please note, click on Reply to Expert tab to reply to me in the reply box that pops open or, if the reply box is showing, just type your reply to me there. And please don't forget to rate me positive when we are finished. Let's get you fixed up so you can be on your way. Touch the turntable and the amp at the same time. Does the buzz go away when you touch both? Be sure you are touching a screw, and not a plastic housing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Rusty, I tried as you suggested but the sound is still really distorted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, some turntables have a built in preamp. That boosts the signal, the same as your phono input on your amp, resulting in over-driven signal which causes distortion. Connect your turntable to the aux input, or any other available input other than Phono, and the signal levels will match. Tell me how it sounds.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Rusty you are a star. One thing. Will I get an inferior sound quality. As I'm in the aux input?
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Absolutely not. Your turntable has a built in preamp. Your phono input is a circuit with a preamp. If your turntable didn't have a preamp, you would use the phono input, and it would have the same quality, if not less than you will achieve with your turntable into the aux input. Aux is the correct place for your turntable.