Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

I have a Roland FA 08 with a Roland KC350 speaker. I suddenly

I have a Roland FA 08 with a Roland KC350 speaker.
I suddenly lost sound.
the speaker works with mic, I have checked all connections, it looks like a fault, is it?
John Mayer
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. Since the speaker works with the mic, we know the problem isn't in the speaker. Sometimes a setting like local, can be set to off by mistake. Headphones will also mute the output. Here's where to start: 1. In the UTILITY screen, select “Factory Reset” and pressthe [ENTER] button.A confirmation message appears.2. Press the [6] (OK) button.The factory reset is executed. If that doesn't clear it up, plug the speaker into the headphone output to see if you get any sound. Please tell me the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had already tried cancelling the factory settings, and no success there.
I have not got an year phones, I will try and purchase some but can not in the next few days.
I tried plugging the speaker back to ear phones, again no success.
John
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
No, just plug the cable from your speaker into your headphone jack. Turn down your headphone level, and slowly raise it. Tell me if you hear sound. The headphone out is also an output, but it's amplified, so be sure not to raise your headphone level too loud, or you could damage your speaker. If you hear distortion, it's too loud.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the speaker with lead to channel one mono, and then into the keyboard headphone socket, and no sound at all.
John
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, now try any drum beats, or demo song. Any sound?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried that, and nothing, I tried the metronome as well
John
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that is an indicator that your mixer has gone out. That is what controls your sustain, demo song, metronome, etc... That part receives your signal from the tone generator, manipulates it by adding sustain, then sends the mixed signal to your amplifiers. Each speaker has an amp, and your headphones have a different amp, neither of which are receiving signal. We've pinpointed the problem. You can buy another mixer from Roland if you have simple electronics skills. Don't worry, it's the cheapest PCB in the piano. Are you up for doing the repair yourself, or would you like a recommendation for a shop? The repair consists of removing the cover, locating the PCB that the key pads are attached to (the tone generator), then following that cable to the mixer (between the headphone jack circuit and the tone generator), and replacing the PCB.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is under guarantee, I only got it last November, I guess I am going to have to get it back to the supplier, which is a pain as I have one hell of a week ahead of me, and the shop is 17 miles from me, and I need the keyboard for Friday night, I guess they will not repair on site, and will probably send it off, which means I will lose it for a while.
I have my digital piano, but that is a monster to transport in comparison, and of cause does not have the vast variety of sounds.
John
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry John, if you're not hearing anything from the headphones, AND you have done a successful reset, it will need to be sent in for the warranty. There isn't a special series of buttons for this one, you've already done that. At least you know that it's a simple fix, I would suggest calling your nearest Korg shops and asking them if they have a mixer on hand that can do the repair locally, and under your warranty. Click here to see if you have a warranty center near you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The nearest dealer is the place I got if from in Bristol.
Thanks for your help, appreciated.
John
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
No problem John, sorry there wasn't a quick fix. Luckily they may have the part in Bristol. I recommend giving them a call and ask what their turnaround time will be.
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience: Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting