Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

How can I reconnect my Roland Sound Canvas to a newly purchased

Customer Question

How can I reconnect my Roland Sound Canvas to a newly purchased computer ?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. Are you using this for midi, or as an audio i/o? Which operating system is on your new computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I suppose it is Midi.

I want to play from Sibelius 7 scores on my Windows 7 PC through the Roland to my amplifier and speakers.

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, and what is the model of the Sound Canvas? For your Behringer, that one will definitely work with Windows 7. Click here, scroll to the bottom of the screen, then install the asio4all driver. In Sibelius, you will need to set up your I/O. Sibelius works with midi, your Behringer won't do that, but it will allow you to record into Audacity, Garageband, etc... I await the model of your Roland... I will have a definite answer to get it to work, one way or another, I just need to check compatibility first.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Roland model is SC-88.Thank you Rusty - I do hope we can get it to work as it would make my work easier and more rewarding. Best - John

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, there's the problem. It will work with XP or Vista, but not 7. Roland has a brilliant work-around for that. Click here. This is a midi device that will work with Windows 7, and Sibelius. It takes the analog midi signals and converts them to digital, in a language that Windows 7 can understand. This will make your gear work together. Let me know if you have any questions. If you want to pick one up locally, you can get them at Guitar Center, Fry's, and other music stores.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Rusty, Thank you for finding the right connector for Sibelius to Roland. One question from a complete technophobe ! Do I connect the Roland UM-ONE MK2 USB MIDI to the Behringer, or do I dispense with the Behringer and connect computer and Roland only using the new MIDI ?

Best - John

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Your Behringer will do nothing for midi, only audio in case you want to record what an instrument is playing in real time. For midi, set it aside. Connect midi in on your UM-one to midi out on your SC-88, and midi out on your UM-one to midi in on your SC-88. Plug in the USB, make sure the driver loads, then start Sibelius. It should default to the UM-one as your midi device, and you're ready to go.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Rusty, Thank you for the prompt reply; I will purchase UM (i'm in the UK, but have located it on Amazon), and connect it as instructed - will let you know how it goes. Best - John

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good John, I think you'll be pleased with the ease of use and versatility of the Um-One. It was made specifically for situations like yours, and it's very compatible. Be sure to leave a rating, it's the only way I get credit for helping you. Rating my service does not close the question, and you can respond to me anytime at no extra charge.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rusty,

I tried to complete the survey - did a fantastic review - but unable to submit it as it says my email address is not valid when I try to log in to submit it to JustAnswer. Best - John

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
That's OK, the site has a few glitches. It looks like it went through. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Rusty,

We tried to install the USB but the In/Out lights on the USB device didn't light up when connected. Also on the Sibelius Preference Playback Options doesn't show the device.The Input device was recognised as a midi keyboard. What do you think is the problem ? Best - John

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
No problem, you'll need to install the driver. Roland keeps up on their drivers very well, so they aren't built into the operating system. Click here. Download the Windows 7 driver, install it, then restart your recording program, and the Um One should show up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rusty,

EUREKA !! It's working, and I've got my Roland Sound Canvas back, thanks to you and your on the target help. Once again , many thanks and I'll certainly be back to JustAnswer if/when I have any serious problems.

All the Very Best - John

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
That's great John! Let me know if I can help in the future.