adamd-mod
adamd-mod, Just Answer Moderator
Experience:  Just Answer Moderator
74353250

I have a Roland SBX-1 box & a Roland TB303. When I

Customer Question

I have a Roland SBX-1 box & a Roland TB303.
When I connect the 303 to the SBX via a DIN Sync connection & lead & run the SBX box on it's internal clock,the 303 runs & responds ok.
However when I connect up the SBX box to an external MIDI source & change te source button to MIDI,the 303 just hangs,the buttons on the front of the 303 respond but there is no output.
Any ideas? Thanks.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. When using midi, it's important to set all of the devices to channel 1. Make sure your connections are midi in to midi out. You'll also have to designate which one is the master, and the others are slaves. Check your midi settings, and tell me where they are set now on all devices.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rusty,

I have checked all of my connections & they are ok.The SBX box has a function switch to designate the sourse,which is switched to MIDI.

Still no luck.

Thanks for the reply.

Mark

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, and is your cable from the master device connected to midi out, then to midi in on the next device?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rusty,

Just as a point of reference,just look up a Roland SBX-1 box & check it's functuality,so we are both singing from the same sheet.

The master MIDI device drives the SBX box which converts it to DIN SYNC,when it is connected to the TB303 the 303 does not run,

The SBX box can also run without a master & produce it's own clock signal which it converts to DIN SYNC.In thi mode the 303 runs ok.

Mark.

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
What are you running as your master?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rusty,

A Red Sound soundbite micro,converts audio into MIDI.

It controls my Roland TR8 via the SBX box perfectly.

The SBX box should convert the MIDI to DIN SYNC to drive the TB303 without a problem but it doesn't.That's what it's designed to do.

Thanks,

Mark.

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I've looked further into this. So the 303 works, but it's as if it's not connected at all, right? I'm noticing a switch by the din sync on the 303. On other models, this is an I/O switch. Is that the case with the 303?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rusty,

The 303 functions ok until you add a MIDI source to the SBX box,then it just hangs,no sound output.

The switch by the DIN connector is a waveform switch which has no effect on the connection.

The 303 will run when driven by the SBX box but only using the SBX internal clock signal.

it's all very strange,

Thanks,

Mark.

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
That is very strange, I'm going to open this question up to all experts to see if there is another opinion. I'll come back if I find the answer.
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.

Hello there,

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam