Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

Had a problem with Tyros 1 switching intermittently. Suspected

had a problem with Tyros 1 switching intermittently. Suspected that the REG panel might be at fault so resoldered all the joints seems to work ok but have lost the LCD display.
Is this connected from the REG panel or have I managed to dislodge a cable somewhere?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. No, it is not connected to the reg panel. It is connected to the motherboard with one ribbon cable and a power cable. They are easy to disconnect, definitely start there. It is common for the display to become disconnected when working on the keyboard.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rusty, the current situation is this. I have managed to stop the intermittent switching off of the Tyros, but after putting the regulator board back I found that I had lost the display on the screen. All the lights and buttons work (supplied from ribbon cable from Motherboard. the screen has a dull backlight but does not complete the usual logo and then screen information. I cannot see if there is a separate power lead to the screen at this stage. I have not yet removed the coverplate (PNR) to check for displaced cable/ribbon because these have not been disturbed. Is it possible that a ground connection is causing this?(eg not connecting) I'm clutching at straws the manual I have does not give a wiring diagram

Best regards

Bill

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
It could be a ground, but it sounds more like a short to me, or a fractured solder joint, causing the power to go places it's not supposed to go. I would pay close attention to the regulator, and test everything. That is the board that heats up beyond electronic capacity, and burns things. It's a well known problem of the Tyros 1.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well yes that is the area that I suspect, there are 3 x 47uF capacitors on this board as well as the three Power transistors and I'm wondering if one of the capacitors might be at fault there are two kinds on the board Electrolytic 47uF and 3 x 0.1 ceramic thinking now of doing some substitution as I only have a multimeter for testing. Any thoughts?

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
I would first call Yamaha and see what a new regulator costs, then decide which will be more efficient. The newer boards are likely to have this problem resolved, so it may be the best bet. (###) ###-#### ***** through Friday, from 7:30AM - 5:00PM Pacific Time (closed 12PM - 1PM).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Rusty I'll do that. I'm UK based by the way, so will contact Yamaha UK at Milton Keynes to find out the cost of replacement regulator board.

can i get back to you later?

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
You sure can. Bookmark this page, and you can reach me here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok Thanks bookmarked.

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
I await your reply... Hopefully it won't be too expensive! Sometimes it's better to replace than to repair.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

currently trying to locate a regulator board, can find only 1 on web and it is from a company called "Keyboard Kountry" based somewhere in USA. so could be a few days before I hear any more, but will get back to you when I have news

Bill

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Any luck yet Bill?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning Rusty.

At this time I'm still waiting for a reply from a supplier to get a replacement regulator.Another thing I could try is to take the one out of my other Tyros and see if that does the trick (then at least I would know for sure that the reg was/ wasn't the cause of the problem). It is frustrating when you can't get a company to reply for several days.

I'll get back to you as soon as I have any news.

Latest... tried the reg board in my other tyros... it works fine so now I'm looking for something else that is causing me to have no display swapped the 32 pin ribbon cable, and after a couple of tries hey presto everything is working. I may try to get a standby 32pin ribbon cable from China (yamaha uk don't stock them) do you know if they are available elsewhere?

Thanks for all your help so far

Be assured of a good feedback.

Bill

Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
I hear ya, that's frustrating. The other Tyros should work the same way, and would be a great troubleshooting tool.