Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

I have been given a 20 year Yamaha Clavinova CLP-500 Piano/Keyboard When

Customer Question

I have been given a 20 year Yamaha Clavinova CLP-500 Piano/Keyboard
When powered on it make a click/clunk sound
No sound comes from any key & none of the buttons work & the Piano 1 light flashes rapidly
I have tried `resetting by holding down keys whilst turning it on
Any help appreciated
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. If the lights are flashing, it is a motherboard error. The motherboard controls all of the boards in the piano, which is why nothing is working at all. Hold the A1 and C7 keys, and turn the power on. Don't touch anything after that, just tell me what you see.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for replying - I googled which keys these are & think you mean the first & last key on the keyboard which are A & C...

Nothing happens - have tried holding down & turning on then releasing & turning then pressing - Piano 1 still flashes & no sound

Look forward to next step...

Keith

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
No feedback for 24 hours
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
That is supposed to bring up the diagnostic tool. If that's not coming up, it's beyond repair. You may want to look for one that has something else wrong with it, and use yours for parts. Your motherboard is dead, I'm sorry to have to tell you that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Before we through it away, can I just check the keys are the first & last keys on the keyboard - the A & C

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Yes, A1 is the first key, and C7 is the last key on an 88 key keyboard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But the Keyboard only has 52?

Just trying to save the instruments life before it's dumped!

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I gave you misinformation. I've dug deeper, and found that you hold B1 while you turn the power on.