Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

My roland system 1 aira can record in to logic pro x but notes

Customer Question

My roland system 1 aira can record in to logic pro x but notes do not play back, whether connected through USB or Midi.
Whenever a Midi connection is made, a screeching noise comes out of my speakers really loud and doesn't stop until everything is un plugged.
I got my brother to test the system 1 on his set up on ableton live with a complete different audio interface and computer and it done the same thing. What is going on with it!?
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. If you are certain that your audio I/O settings are set correctly, then it's the processor in your interface. The screechy sound indicates the processor has gone haywire and needs to be replaced. Let's get to work. First, let's try a factory reset. While holding down the [MANUAL] button, turn on the power. The [ARPEGGIO] button blinks. If you decide to cancel the factory reset, turn o┬Ö the power. Press the [ARPEGGIO] button to execute the factory reset. When all buttons lit, turn the SYSTEM-1’s power off , then on again. If it still has a problem:Click here. Make sure you have the latest system software, sometimes this can clear it right up. We can route your output in your I/O settings to your computer's sound card. Since it's recording, but not playing back, we can set Windows to your computer speakers by selecting playback devices from the speaker icon near your clock. Be sure your I/O in Logic is set to your speakers or Windows Mapper (which follows your speaker icon).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your advice, I haven't had the chance to try this yet due to work, but I will in a couple of hours.While you're here , speaking of the I/O settings, I think they are correct, but could you please advise on what the correct settings are just incase mine are wrong?I've had this for months and never actually got it to function so I need to try as many solutions as possible ­čśé
When you say it might be a problem with my audio interface I don't think that is the case as my brother tried testing the system 1 on his computer through a different DAW and completely different interface and faced the same problems. Note that he uses a different synth and a NI Maschine through this interface and it always works just fine.Thanks a lot,Cameron
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
With I/O, it stands for input/output. That is where you specify where you want the audio to come in, and go out. Your input settings are correct if it is recording, but your output settings need to be looked at. It should point to your Roland, output 1-2, or very similar to that. If you look at your interface, the outputs are labeled. How you have the speakers connected, make sure that matches with your output settings. If we find that none of the suggestions in my last post work, route it to your Microsoft Wave Mapper, and make sure your output device near your clock is set to your speakers, not the Roland, and connect your speakers to your computer's headphone output. That should do the trick.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have Microsoft Wave Wapper, or anything windows/microsoft related as I am using a Mac
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that uses the same technology. Which version are you using? What are your choices in your output devices?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm running Logic Pro X on OSX Yosemite 10.10.2.My output choices are shown in the screenshot attached
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Where you see Output 1-2, that's your output routing. Click that, do you have any other choices other than Output 1-2? Also, on the bottom of that screen, change left to output 1, and try playing something. Can you hear sound from iTunes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THe only other choice is output 3-4,I changed left to output 1 and it is currently playing back. However I am not entirely certain it is fixed as it has had brief moments where it has played back in the past then stopped again without any settings being touched at all, I have always been able to hear sound through itunes through my interface as that is how I listen to music (unless i'm mixing through my serato SL2 with turntables). This may be resolved - so I will go away and play with it for a bit, If it stops working again and I have anymore queries I will be in touch, but for the mean time thanks a lot!!!
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if you can hear through iTunes, your interface is fine. I think that having both the left and right set on output 2 may have been causing the digital error. You must separate them. Let me know if the screeching comes back, I think you'll be fine from here on out. Just keep an eye on those settings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome! Let me know if you have any trouble in the future.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems to have stopped working again, I am beginning to think the keyboard is faulty as it doesn't make any sense how it was working after your instructions but the notes still wont playback, even with the same settings!!Are there any other suggestions you could think of before I try and get a refund from Roland?
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
When using DAW hardware, everything must match up perfectly, or you'll see little quirks. I'm a Pro Tools user, and that's how I learned this, it's the worst program for that. However, I know the hardware must match, or something will conflict. Did you open any programs that have anything to do with audio mixing other than Logic? Switch your output L to output 2, save, and switch it back to output 1. Does that clear it up?