Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

My Yamaha keyboard has no power but it's not the power cab

My Yamaha keyboard has no power but it's not the power cable
Hello, my name is Rusty. What is the model number of the piano?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi RustyThe model number is: P155b
Ok, are you able to take it apart and run tests?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What kind of Test
Well since you're not getting any power, we'll need to test your power supply to see what is blocking the power from reaching the distribution. Some of them have a small fuse, others will have a bad filter cap. I'll also want you to test the power supply for 16vdc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The power supply is fine, I even bought a brand new power supply and still no power, so it is obviously another problem
The big question here is do you have a multimeter and some electronics experience?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have a multimeter, but I do have some electronic experience. What do you suggest?
I would suggest first unplugging it, removing the cover, and give the power distro a visual inspection. Look for anything obvious like a blown fuse, a bulged capacitor, white powder or if anything appears to be burned. Without a multimeter, you cannot test the power. Let me know what you find. Click here, this is a service manual that will help you remove the cover.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I will do that and get back to you tomorrow
Sounds good, I'll talk to you then.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rusty
We got a multimeter and identified the problem with the power it had a dry joint on the power supply. It has been repaired. Thanks for your help
You are very welcome, thanks for using JustAnswer!