Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

I'm trying to connect my Roland mc909 via a Roland a300pro

Customer Question

Hi I'm trying to connect my Roland mc909 via a Roland a300pro midi controller to play in reason 8.
I can get sound from the keyboard into reason and the 909,but can't get the 909 to playback in reason?please help
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. Sorry for the delay, this just showed up in my feed. Do you still need help with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes please.
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, in Reason, go into your I/O device settings. In there you will find that you can select an input device, and also an output device. Since it's recording, that means your input device is set properly. Your output device is not. Take a look at your output settings, and tell me what it looks like.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In external control
Bus a,b,c and d says no midi input
In midi clock sync output says no midi clock output
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
I'm focused on the actual devices. Do you see anything that says midi mapper, or midi channels? It has to be set to send and receive on channel 1, and one of your devices should already show in your input devices.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
External midi instrument in reason is set to midi channel 1
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
There's more to it... Question, you say it's recording just fine, do you see midi ticks, or is it a waveform that you see?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Midi ticks
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that's what is going on. There is no audio at all, you're over-thinking how to record your performance. Midi doesn't contain audio, only commands. You would have to assign a virtual instrument to what you've done, and it won't sound like you want it to. You want to use this cable out of your main outs to your computer's microphone input (yes, you have one), click here. Disconnect your keyboard so that your DAW doesn't get confused. Create an AUDIO track to record the audio, and you'll be able to play it back without hassle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I don't have one of those leads today so I will get one and try tomorrow.
Currently I'm using headphones on my Mac ,so not too sure how that's gonna work?
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
You'll have to listen to the headphones on your controller, since Mac only gives us one jack. You'll have to trust me though, that's how it works unless you have an audio interface. Midi isn't designed for performance recording.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As you've gathered I'm full of problems.
That all makes sense,my next problem is that my Roland keyboard doesn't have a headphone port.how can I go around this one?
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Your MC909 does. Your midi keyboard isn't equipped with sounds. Don't use them together, it will only cause trouble. Use your 909 as an audio instrument, and your A300 as a midi controller separately.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your a legend rusty!
I'll get a lead and give it a go and no doubt we'll speak again.
Thanks James
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
No problem James, that's what I'm here for!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rusty,your service has been excellent,however I still haven't managed to get my mc 909 sounds to play back in reason,as the 909 is new to me I hardly spent any time on it.i think I need to look at the midi settings in the 909.l can receive midi data from reason(via the a300 keyboard )but can't get it to play back on my recorded part in reason.l don't know if in the 909 I need to set the midi to remote,master or slave?or what midi transmitting settings in the 909?
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
No, remember there is no audio in midi. It only uses midi to change scenes, it's not a midi controller, so it's not what you're trying to do. Did you connect the output to your microphone input on your computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've got a lead from outputs on the 909 to the macs headphone port
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
Yep, now in your I/O settings, select your computer's sound card as your input device. Create an AUDIO track (instrument tracks are for midi), and record. Now set your output device to your computer's sound card, and you should be able to play it back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I/o settings in reason or Mac ?
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.
In Reason. Remember, we're working with your audio device, not midi. Midi does not matter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry rusty gotta go to bed so I'll be in touch,thanks