Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

I have n Alesis DM5 drum module that I use with Roland

Customer Question

I have n Alesis DM5 drum module that I use with Roland triggers on for live performances.
Works great, and have tweaked all patches to our various drummers' taste.
I'm a bit concerned because the unit is a little old now, and the battery has NEVER been replaced!
Is there a recommended procedure to replace a battery without wiping the memory off?
i.e. save the unit as sysex data in Cubase Pro perhaps?
I also own an Alesis Datadisc, so perhaps back up to that (if I can find any floppies!!??)Any help would be welcome.
Worst case scenario would be replace battery and re initialise the unit, plus hours of re-programming the sounds......UUUH!
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** thing with the DM5 is that it needs to be connected to another DM5 with midi to backup your data. The battery will last about 10-15 years. It's best to take it to a shop that has another DM5 to use as a backup.

Method 2:

If you open it up and take a look at the battery location, determine if you can switch it out while the power is plugged in. If it is plugged in and turned on, the battery can be replaced without losing data. As long as power is applied, you will not lose your data.