Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

We have a Yamaha P-120 digital piano and when I switch it on

Customer Question

Hi, we have a Yamaha P-120 digital piano and when I switch it on without the sustain pedal the keyboard works as expected. When I switch on with sustain pedal plugged in the sustain is permantle on and the pedal has no effect.
Category: Electronic Musical Instruments
Expert:  Rusty replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. Give me a few minutes to type up your answer.

Expert:  Rusty replied 5 months ago.

Does the sustain work when you plug it in after the piano is turned on?

At first glance, it looks like your pedal has a short. It's a very simple circuit that connects, or doesn't. That's it, just two contacts that short to tell the piano to activate the sustain.

I want you to take the pedal to a music store, and have them test it on another piano. I suspect it's the pedal, and very highly doubt there's something wrong with the piano. If the problem happens at the music store, replace your pedal and you should be good to go.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I tested the pedal with a multimeter and it works OK. I plugged the pedal into the auxiliary socket and used the function keys to make it work as a sustain pedal. That worked but it doesn't work in the sustain pedal socket.
Expert:  Rusty replied 5 months ago.

Hmm, it could be gunked up in the female sustain jack on the piano. Dip the jack in isopropyl alcohol, and run it in and out a few times. Repeat that about 7-8 times to break up any gunk in there.

Also, you will definitely see the problem if the pedal is pressed while you turn the piano on. That is just what happens, which is why I suspected the short in the pedal. When the piano is on, and you plug it into the sustain socket, does it work any differently?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK thanks.I'll try cleaning the socket and see what happens. Best wishes.
Expert:  Rusty replied 5 months ago.

Let me know how it works, and if you don't have any luck, try the pedal on another piano, to see if the problem replicates. That will tell you whether the problem is in the pedal, or the piano. It may have its quirks.