Rusty
Rusty, Music Professional
Experience:  Sound Engineer, Electrical Issues, Tone Consulting
63817454

I have a CVP405 bought second hand in February. It has

I have a CVP405 bought second hand in February. It has recently started producing very high volume when a key is pressed, no matter how lightly. It originally started with the key above middle C but is now doing it when the key below middle C is pressed. What is causing this and how can it be fixed? I have a 12 month parts and labour warranty from the shop where I bought it.

Hello, my name is Rusty. That is caused when the velocity sensitive pad has worn out. They are maintenance items, and you can fix this at home.

Unplug the keyboard, and remove the screws in the corners holding the top board assembly. The rest of the wood should flip down. Now strike a key, and look at where the back of the key hits. That's the contact strip that needs to be replaced. They are fairly inexpensive, and are available from Yamaha. Call 0844(###) ###-####to order the parts, and let me know if you have any questions. As soon as you replace the contact strip, it will be like a brand new key.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Rusty this is very hepful and I appreciate the prompt response. Since my instrument is under warranty by the seller I'll leave it to him to carry out the repair, but this will be very useful in allowing him to understand what needs to be done.