Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

Have just received my DMR-HW220 & connecting to TX-32LXD 52

Customer Question

Have just received my DMR-HW220 & connecting to TX-32LXD 52 via new HDMI cable. On powering up & pressing the standby button on remote all I am getting on the unit is D 1. In addition whilst I have nothing else plugged in (scart leads etc) I am getting nothing on the TV screen except component. I have selected C/HDMI rather than AV1 / 2/ 3/ 4 but even so nothing is appearing in any of these.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

There should be some basics you have already done.

Have you connected your RF input to an outdoor aerial for Freeview and are you using an RF Out to connect to your TV set, or are you using the HDMI Out to get the picture to one of your HDMI inputs on the TV??

graphic

If you've connected to your TV set with HDMI, I have seen some issues where if you unplug the HDMI connection, wait a minute, then plug it back in, it senses the connection and the two units communicate, and produce picture and sound.

But I have also seen HDMI outputs on different models where you have to connect up to the TV with a set of AV output or Scart cables, then go into the New unit's Video/Settings menu , find an HDMI setting that actually turns the HDMI output on.

It might be labled HDMI Control -On /off.

That type of setup is really designed that way to make sure that people with low definition TV sets will have a unit that can display a picture and not get locked out if it's set to High definition HDMI.

The key is this....if you access your Panasonic menu, can you see it on your TV set?

And if you are using the RF out....I think you have to select Analog (not Digital) channel 3. That's the channel you've used to get VCRs to display on older TV sets. The RF output should mirror the same channel number that you've used with VCRs for years.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. Have tried disconnecting HDMI input, waiting then reconnecting - still the same - screen shows Component top left.On the recorder it does change from D1 to HDMI when I reconnect then reverts to D1 again. Because I have been unable to tune the new Panasonic recorder I cannot get TV through the unit. The pic is excellent from the TV(we receive an excellent digital signal) but nothing via the Panasonic recorder. The other problem is that I only have 1 HDMI output from the recorder, no scart or other apart from rf which I have tried but to no avail. As far as I am aware the TV automatically recognises the input signal. Having read the operating instructions for the tv there appears to be no reference to HDMI but says it will accept 525, 625, 750 & 1125 (1080).

So we are not there yet........

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

D1 channel makes it sound like the tuner wasn't autoscanned at all.

D1 means Digital 1 or Channel 1. To be honest, it may be reverting back to tuner only mode if you bypassed the intial setup of the TV set, and it also sounds like your TV selects the Component Video input too....

And yes, Panasonic models have been "autosensing" ACTIVE inputs since 2007.

That means if there is a LIVE/ACTIVE signal on the input, it gets to be selected in the list of inputs.

But they can't block ALL inputs...they have to have a default, and it's usually the TV's Antenna input. I THINK when you have NO HDMI signal....it does look like it's Default setting is the COMPONENT input.

So....is the HDMI on the TV bad, or the HDMI on the New unit bad or possibly turned OFF in the user menu on the DMR?

You had the TV for some time now, it's not brand new is it? It looks like a 2006 model from the TV stand and cabinet.

Panasonic manuals look the same as they did 10 years ago. Consistent artistry of the front page. It's nice, but it's hard to know old from new.

Anyways, This is what we have to figure out. The HDMI. Is it bad on the TV or the DMR unit?

The only way I would know, is if I went out to my truck, grabbed my Panasonic Blu ray and cable and connected it to your TV set and checked to see if it worked.

So, do you happen to have any other HDMI equipped units in your home to try it? Or can you try your DMR box on another TV? And don't forget the cable either. Just because it's NEW....doesn't mean it couldn't have broke in shipping.

This whole system should have just been plug and play, but that TV ACTS like it's brand new and just has not been set up when it was first turned on. Sometimes if you bypass that, it misbehaves.

See if you can swap the two units with something else that uses HDMI. We have to figure out if the TV or DMR isn't working first.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This morning I inadvertently selected the HDMI cable (the screen switched from component to HDMI) not sure how but now I've achieved this all seems to work! Perhaps it is because I'm a 65 year old non computer literate bod

Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

It's not you....it's the HDMI connection. And the fact that HDMI is the only signal that carries High Definition Copyright Protection (HDCP) is the reason why your TV is locking out the HDMI connection

The one thing I see different....The HDMI is likely lit up white, and is not "grayed out"

Or it's actually a "selectable choice" today that didn't exist previously.

In either case, the TV found a valid HDMI signal and turned on that input. Unplugging the units, disconnecting the HDMI cable....that should have reset that and cleared it out. Now I'm wondering if it had to be unplugged for ....maybe 30 minutes to clear it out. Power could have gone off overnight. That's a possibility.