Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

My recorder records programmes ok but when I go to watch them,

Customer Question

My recorder records programmes ok but when I go to watch them, nothing plays back.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question.

What is the make and model number of your recorder?
Approximately how old is it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Goodman's freeview+ digital tv recorder. Have had it for about 2 years. When I try to watch what I have recorded, a msg comes up saying no video/audio output. I have checked the cables are in correctly.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Hi Caroline,
What type of cable are you using?
The cable may be worn or damaged - try replacing the cable and see if that helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have replaced the scart lead with a brand new one but the problem is still happening.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
What is the make and model number of the TV connected to the recorder?
What input is selected on it for playback?
Do you have any other devices connected to the TV, e.g. a DVD player?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

TV is an Orion CW2103(B). It's an old television that does not have hdmi capability and has a video player and a DVD player built in. I do not have anything plugged into it at the moment. The input I use is the AV channel if that is what you are asking.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Did the setup work ok previously?
How do you know it is still recording ok?
Have you tried playing the recordings back on a different TV?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, the setup has worked for almost 2 years. I know it is recording still because it says recorded next to the program in my library. I can play back most of them but some won't, they are always different channels so I can't say it is always the same channel recorded that won't play back. No, I haven't tried a different TV.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
What is the exact model number of the Goodman's freeview+ digital tv recorder?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

GD11FVRSD32

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

GD11FVRSD32

Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Hi Caroline,
If you haven't already tried this, try turning off and unplugging the recorder for 15 minutes, then turn it back on again.
Let me know if there is any improvement.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That hasn't worked.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Hi Caroline,
If cold-starting the recorder did not help, then unfortunately it appears to have a fault.
Most likely the hard disk is damaged inside the recoder since the recordings are not playing back.
A local electronics repair shop can replace the hard disk for you, however this repair is likely to cost around £100, so you will need to consider if it is worth repairing, or if you would rather invest the money in a new recorder.